Friday, December 30, 2022
Wednesday, December 28, 2022
Over the past few days I've been working on the latest landscape and as you can see from the photo, I've accomplished quite a bit. There are a couple areas I'm struggling with and I'm not quite sure how I'll finish them. Once I finish quilting the sky area I'll start adding the foreground.
a dull day here and the lighting is
- THIS is a really pretty blanket that could be made larger for an adult as well.
- As further proof that you just never know what you might discover when you visit Chez Magpie, how about THIS?
- THIS is a fun tutorial for making bag handles that are really pretty.
- Have a scroll through the amazing work of THIS artist.
Today's quote..."Whatever is coming up in your life right now is not here to stay. It will pass, but you have to let it. Sometimes that takes getting out of your own way and accepting that things are the way they are. You can't change what happens to you, but you can choose what happens next"
Monday, December 26, 2022
- THIS is a pretty lap quilt pattern that could be embiggened if you wanted a larger size.
- If you're looking to create a cheese board for your New Year's Eve celebration, perhaps one of the ideas HERE might be helpful.
Today's quote..."If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty would be"
Friday, December 23, 2022
Today, on the eve of the Christmas weekend, I leave you with a collection of quotes that I hope you enjoy...
"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others" (Bob Hope)
- "The way you spend Christmas is far more important than how much" (Henry David Thoreau)
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
There have been several additions to the landscape as you can see...
- THIS is a really pretty scarf design.
- I wouldn't mind some of THIS appearing at Christmas time (well, anytime, really!)
- THESE would be a fun edible gift
- And if you're wanting to serve a charcuterie board, HERE are some ideas.
- If you're searching for a quick gift for a neighbour or friend, how about THIS
Today's quote is from Steve Maraboli..."Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you"
Monday, December 19, 2022
Some of you might remember me showing you THIS link to a crocheted vest that I rather liked and that Resident Chef insisted I order the yarn. This is the result...
- Sharon Boggon has announced what looks to be a really fun stitch-a-long for next year. You can find out more HERE.
.....have you had enough yet??.....
- More ideas HERE.
The quote is from Oren Arnold..."Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect"
Friday, December 16, 2022
Yes, my sewing room looked like a massive explosion happened just shortly after these photos were taken...
Trust me - you don't want to see what THAT mess looked like!!!
I have any business working on these at all.
It will get better.
- There are some great gift ideas HERE.
- It might be a tad late to make THIS for this year, but something to bookmark for next year.
- HERE is another of those awwwww things.
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Now that Christmas prep is pretty much done and dusted I'm ready to embark on a new landscape adventure. I suspect this one WILL be an adventure because it's more ambitious than any I've tackled before. This is the inspiration photo...
Photo is by Barbara Stanbro and used
with her kind permission
Update on the rant from Monday about the computer keyboard...Resident Chef has evidently gotten tired of listening to me
swear discussing the merits of said keyboard and is insisting that I get a proper one.
And, not quite the promised finish, but I did finish making this bowl
Pattern is THIS one and yarn
was some Lion Brand Hometown
I had lurking in my stash
- If you're planning to wrap gifts in brown paper this year, there are some great ideas HERE.
- Patterns for snowflakes about this time of year, but THIS one caught my eye.
- THIS is a nice memory ornament that's easy to make.
- HERE is another really quick and easy gift you can make for everyone on your list.
- THIS would make a nice gift for the tea-lover on your list.
- There are lots of ideas for jar gifts HERE.
- There's some different ideas HERE for making chocolate bark.
Today's quote is from Tom Selleck..."Few of us are as good as we think we are; none of us are as good as we can be"
Monday, December 12, 2022
First of all, the rant.....my computer keyboard bit the dust and I was happy to know that I had one on hand. Unfortunately the new one is way smaller than my old one and is a complete lesson in frustration. The 'enter' key isn't where the old one was (why????)...the Caps Lock key is in a different place too. All I can say is that I'm glad I already did the links for this post or there wouldn't be any. Every single time I attempt to hit the letter 'a' I get either the caps lock or the letter q. For a person who is a typist it's totally maddening. ARGH!!!!
Rant over - soapbox dusted
I have a project that is almost completed which I hope to show you on Wednesday, but in the meantime, enjoy some links....
- THIS intrigued me.
- HERE is a quick little sewing project that would make great gifts.
- And HERE's another one.
- THIS is a cute Christmas ornament that's easy to make.
- HERE is something that would make a nice Christmas gift.
- I'd really like to attempt making THESE - heaven knows I have enough beads!!
- THESE would become a welcome gift I know. (scroll down for the tutorial).
- If you happen to have any teacups gathering dust in your cupboard, perhaps making THIS would be fun.
- THIS is a fairly simple idea that might be fun to try.
Friday, December 09, 2022
Sorry folks - I have nothing to show you because I've been living the life of sloth for a couple of days. Christmas 'stuff' is done, wrapping is pretty much done, and I've been taking it easy. Puttering is happening, but it's hard to take pictures of puttering.
- For those of you who love crazy quilting, or even are hoping to learn, Sharon Boggon has a new book out and you can find out more by going HERE.
- HERE is another awwwww moment!
- There are lots of uses for something like THIS
- If you're contemplating making a temperature blanket in 2023 perhaps THIS might be valuable. Even if you're not thinking about a temperature blanket it's fun to look through the web site. Best pour a cuppa before you go though!
- I might have posted a link to THIS before but another dose of cuteness never hurt anybody! (Thanks, Val!)
- Shhhhh - Resident Chef doesn't know it, but he's getting some of THESE for Christmas. Instead of flimsy tea towels, I got bathroom hand towels for extra absorbency. He doesn't use aprons but if he did, I'd make him some of THESE too. Wouldn't a matching set make a great gift?
Today's quote...."When you choose joy you feel good and when you feel good, you do good and when you do good it reminds others of what joy feels like and it might just inspire them to do the same"
Wednesday, December 07, 2022
Some of you might remember that I made advent calendars for our grandies...two were mailed in time for the boys to enjoy last Christmas but of course our wee granddaughter wasn't quite born yet. I, however, knew she was coming and made her an advent in preparation for THIS Christmas and tucked it away. Last month I put it in with a box of goodies heading out their way and felt quite smug knowing that I was on top of things. Well. You can pretty much guess that wasn't the END of the story! Over the weekend we received a call from our mystified son wondering just how they were supposed to attach the cross stitched ornaments TO the advent. Turns out I had totally overlooked sewing the buttons onto it...so there went my feeling of smugness. Good thing she's not quite a year old yet and doesn't know what an advent even is! It will be returned to me and I will do what I should have in the first place. Serves me right for not checking it over before I sent it! And why, I ask you, didn't I put the buttons on when I was making it?? One of the great mysteries of life.
For lack of any better pictures to share with you, thought I'd show you how I packaged the snowflake soaps I showed you earlier. Pretty simple packaging - wrapped in Saran, a little bit of curling ribbon, and a sprig of holly berries 'harvested' from a cheap dollar store wreath.
- There are several interesting tote bag patterns to be found HERE.
- THIS is a really cute little Christmas tree.
- And HERE is another of my awwww discoveries.
- THESE would look really pretty on a Christmas tree and would make sweet additions instead of a 'bow' on gifts.
- Although I'm not sure where you can source the pipe cleaners for THIS, it caught my eye anyway.
- I thought THIS was an interesting article and was worth sharing.
The quote of the day..."If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside"
Monday, December 05, 2022
And, just to prove that I haven't been slacking, there's this...
The final knitted gift for this Christmas! Made from stash yarn, using up bits leftover from the sweaters.
- If you find yourself in need of some small bows for any reason, check out THIS tutorial for a great how-to.
- Val sent me the link to THIS and thought it would cause an 'awwww' moment. It did!
- There are some really pretty snowflake designs HERE.
- If you have a family member that's obsessed with Minecraft (there are 3 in my family) then perhaps making one of THESE would be welcome. I, however, won't be making one because it would only lead to fights over it!
- Have a look at the amazingly intricate work of THIS artist.
- I found the discussion at the beginning of THIS to be interesting. Perhaps food for thought??
- And, finally, if you have a kitty in your life, don't you think using scrap yarns to make one of THESE would be a most welcome gift?
Today's quote is from one of my favourites - Ralph Waldo Emerson...
Friday, December 02, 2022
This is the last toy I'm making for this year. I'm not overly thrilled with it, but I guess it looks a little like a cat if you REALLY use your imagination.
- The quilters among you might find THIS of interest!
- Sometimes the simpler things are the most welcome gifts as THIS can attest.
- If you know someone who is a fan of chickens, perhaps they'd like THESE!
- I don't know if any of you might have need for THIS but throwing it in, just in case.
- There are lots of great gift ideas to be found HERE.
Today's quote... (disclaimer: This is not my artwork, nor is it my poem...sadly!)
Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Last night I turned my attention to soap making and these are the result. I now have to figure out how I'm going to package them for gifting. Before you get too excited and think that I'm a soap maker I'm really not - these are the melt and pour type and SO easy!! Measuring scary things like lye isn't on my radar and I far prefer all that technical stuff be done for me leaving me to play with colour and scent instead.
- THIS would make a great gift!
- If you use those Wonder Clips in your sewing endeavours perhaps making one of THESE might prove useful. Barring that, how about making one and adding Wonder Clips for gifting. While you're at it, how about adding one of THESE to the gift?
- If you feel the urge to be a Santa's Helper this year and help him fill stockings, perhaps one of the ideas found HERE might be great.
- The embroiderers among you might like to check into THIS for next year.
Today your quote is from Hans Christian Andersen..."The whole world is a series of miracles, but we're so used to them we call them ordinary things"
Monday, November 28, 2022
He is pretty happy with his new Kitchenaid as is evidenced by what's in his hand....both are sourdough buns, but the left version was kneaded using his new toy. Much higher and fluffier than those kneaded by hand!
Heaven help the world if he didn't make his yearly allotment of butter tarts....
Recipe for his butter tarts can be found HERE.
And chocolate cookies whipped up in...you guessed it...the new toy...
- THIS one made me smile! What to make for the person who has absolutely everything!! You'll need to scroll down to the bottom for the full effect.
- I think small jars of THIS would make fun Christmas gifts!
- If you go HERE you can see a really nice fabric storage pod design (and the link for the PDF pattern is on the right)
- THIS is a rather nice drawstring bag design (even better if you were to gift it filled with fun goodies!)
- THIS takes you to a PDF pattern for a handy organizer that any person who sews would love to receive.
Here's your quote for today..."On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%"
Friday, November 25, 2022
I've been busy working on more cross stitched bookmarks (shhhh....I DO remember assuring you that there wouldn't be any more cross stitch for awhile....so I lied). They're not photo ready as yet though.
Because I have nada to show you, how about a really good potato soup recipe from Resident Chef's kitchen instead...
- HERE is a really cute, and useful, thing you could make for Christmas giving.
- If you've been thinking about making mug rugs this year, perhaps one found HERE might catch your eye (there are also printable labels you can add).
- HERE is another great little quick-to-make gift that could be tucked into a stocking
- THIS would be a great thing to make for a knitter or crocheter (or perhaps even To You, From You, With Love)
Today's quote..."If you love something, love it completely, cherish it, say it, but most importantly, show it. Life is finite and fragile, and just because something is there one day, it might not be the next. Never take that for granted. Say what you need to say, then say a little more. Say too much. Show too much. Love too much. Everything is temporary but love"
Wednesday, November 23, 2022
I had leftover yarn from making this hat that I showed you previously so thought I might as well use it up and made another of the scarves to go along with it...
If you want the scarf pattern, I posted it HERE.
And the latest thing to come out of Resident Chef's kitchen (he and his new Kitchenaid are very busy!)...
These are called Martha Washington candies and the recipe can be found HERE.
- There are lots of foodie-type gift ideas HERE.
- If you're searching for ideas for ornaments to make, have a look through THESE.
- If herbs are of interest, perhaps something HERE would be fun to make.
- And HERE you will find lots of ideas for mason jar gifts.
- The knitters among you might find THIS of interest.
Monday, November 21, 2022
Over the weekend both Resident Chef and I were busy creating and baking. He, of course, absolutely NEEDED to test out his new Kitchenaid and this loaf of bread was the result...
Hot Cocoa Mix (recipe can be found HERE - but we found that using half the amount of powder per cup of liquid was ample)
Bean Soup Mix - (recipe can be found HERE). I changed it somewhat by leaving out the kidney beans and replacing them with lentils.
- While you're exploring the links above, check out some of the other ideas they have HERE
- I knew some of THESE uses for vinegar but there were a couple I hadn't heard of.
- I was looking for ideas for filling a clear ball Christmas ornament and came across THESE and thought some of you might find them interesting.
- THESE are really sweet for either hanging on your tree or using as package decor.
Today the quote is paraphrased from Louise Hay...."Choose to make the rest of your life the best of your life"