MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, November 07, 2022

Another tutorial...who knew?

 Yes, who knew?  Two tutorials in such short order!!  Or maybe, to be technical, this one is more of a pattern than a tutorial.  At any rate...over the weekend I finished this scarf to accompany the hat I already made...


A close up...



And, in case you feel urged to make a scarf of your own (or for THAT gift occasion that's rapidly approaching!), here's the pattern I developed....

1 ball of Patons Canadiana yarn (or any #4 weight yarn of your choice)
8.5 mm knitting needles (either circular or DPN's)

Loosely cast on 23 (or 29 for a wider scarf).  23 stitches gives you a scarf approx. 6"x56".

Knit two rows.

Pattern Row 1:  Knit 3, *YO, K2 tog, repeat from * to last 2 sts., Knit 2
Pattern Row 2:  Knit 2; Purl to last 2 sts.; Knit 2
NOTE:  Mark Row 1 with a safety pin and keep moving it up as you go along in order to keep track of which row you're doing.  Ask me how I know!

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until ball of yarn is nearly done.

Knit 2 rows.

Cast off:  Knit 1, *Knit 1, insert left needle into front of  the two stitches on right needle, K2 tog.  Repeat from * until 1 stitch remaining.  Break yarn and pull through.


- Some of you might find THIS stitch-a-long (minimal cost/month) to be fun.

- I really like THESE and they would make great gifts.

- THESE would be so fun for your Christmas decor.

- If you want to see some amazing eye candy, have a stroll through THIS blog (thanks for the head's up on this one Liz!)

- Sometimes someone writes something on a blog that opens up an entirely new thought process and THIS post is just one of those.  Please go and read the article she wrote HERE as well.  I've never done this (unless it's via a commission) and now I'm hoping I can change my mindset and insisting on the element of surprise and instead open myself to accepting input from the recipients of my efforts.  Food for much contemplation for sure!

Today's quote from William Feather..."Conditions are never just right.  People who delay action until all factors are favourable do nothing"

12 comments:

  1. I liked that piece by Quinn about collaboration. I think surprises are fun for the giver, not so much for the receiver. And I'm glad you liked Fils et Aiguilles. It's all translated as you go, if you don't read French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collaboration post was certainly food for thought and in some ways hopefully will change my mindset. My fear is that the recipient will request something that's beyond my skill set but I suppose I'd just have to be up front about that and ask them to choose something else.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful HAP--I began one, and abandoned it--this signaled the end of my knitting as my hands just couldn't do it anymore!! The pattern is a lovely one...just that i couldn't do it anymore...that scarf looks so lovely --I like the actually crocheted look of it...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen a Hap prior to this one and it IS beautiful. My hands are giving me grief but I refuse to give in and keep stitching on anyway.
      As for my scarf - thank you for saying that you think it has a crocheted look because that's what I was hoping for. The hat is crocheted and I wanted to make a scarf that blended well.

      Delete
  3. Very nice scarf and a very pretty colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our daughter-in-love will like it.

      Delete
  4. Oh my that blog is amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, that looks like I might even be able to manage it!! I will try when I get home - thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Just a head's up though - be sure to mark the right side with a pin as you go along, otherwise it's difficult to tell what row you're supposed to be doing. Learned as I went along on that!

      Delete
  6. The scarf looks fabulous Mary Anne. I enjoyed visiting the blog link you posted. I used to do some hardanger embroidery work but my close to eyesight isn't good enough any more. I think maybe one of those lamps with a magnifier would be a good idea. **Note to suggest this as a gift to husband** Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love one of those lamps too but alas nowhere to put one. Now that the time has changed I found myself turning on every lamp I have in my sewing room yesterday so I could see to do some cross stitching.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.