MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, December 05, 2022

Something from the Resident Chef

 


BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP
3 onions, chopped
2 leeks, white & green sections, chopped
12 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
1 T. Italian dressing
6 c. chicken broth
1 c. chopped broccoli
1 c. instant white rice, uncooked
1 c. skim milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Salt
  Saute onions & leeks til tender.  Add broth, water &
broccoli.  Bring to boil & cook 8-10 mins.  til broccoli is
tender.  Add milk & rice. Reduce heat to medium & cook
5 mins.  Blend in blender til smooth.  Reheat on low. 
Top each serving with cheese.

And, just to prove that I haven't been slacking, there's this...


The final knitted gift for this Christmas!  Made from stash yarn, using up bits leftover from the sweaters.

- If you find yourself in need of some small bows for any reason, check out THIS tutorial for a great how-to.

- Val sent me the link to THIS and thought it would cause an 'awwww' moment.  It did!

- There are some really pretty snowflake designs HERE.  

- If you have a family member that's obsessed with Minecraft (there are 3 in my family) then perhaps making one of THESE would be welcome.  I, however, won't be making one because it would only lead to fights over it!

- Have a look at the amazingly intricate work of THIS artist.

- I found the discussion at the beginning of THIS to be interesting.  Perhaps food for thought??

- And, finally, if you have a kitty in your life, don't you think using scrap yarns to make one of THESE would be a most welcome gift?

Today's quote is from one of my favourites - Ralph Waldo Emerson...


19 comments:

  1. I wondered if the awwwww would be Claire Garland! And it was, dotpebbles is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her site led to a great many awwww moments, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Sounds a delicious soup I'll have to give it a try when I have time. Beautiful quote! Christine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing on the part of the Chef! I just finished up my lentil soup and was wondering what to make next. Soup Season is most definitely here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resident Chef always fills our freezer with soups this time of year and that way if we happen to succumb to any sort of 'disease' we have meals ready-made that can simply be heated up. Soup season is definitely a thing!

      Delete
  4. Curious that the recipe is for broccoli and cheddar cheese soup but the cheese is optional. Sounds delicious though. One of my GS is just getting into Minecraft and would probably love that afghan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't like the cheese aspect - Resident Chef just mixes it in because we like it that way.

      Delete
  5. Loving the colors you chose for the hat and gloves--so neat!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really wasn't much choice involved I'm afraid - it was a case of using up what I had that was the correct weight.

      Delete
  6. Definitely an aww moment. Love the idea of doing a Peter Rabbit sometime. I need to print out the PFD.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what made me have the biggest awww moment was the grandpa sweater Peter is wearing....so cute!

      Delete
  7. Your mittens and hat are lovely, I wish I could eat cheese, I love broccoli.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often leave the cheese out so it should be okay like that for you if you want to try it.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Sherry of createology: My my you and RC continue to stay very busy. Soup sounds good however hubby never eats broccoli. Your knitted hat and mittens are perfect for cold winter chills. Those hand stitched Butterflies and Moths are exquisite! You always have the best links…Thank You. Lovely Poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can't ever say that Resident Chef and I lack for anything to do with our time. Glad you enjoy the links!

      Delete
  9. Thank you to Chef for the recipe
    Awww is super adorable!
    Great links, the bow making tip is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says you're welcome! As for the bow making tip - I just have to remember to try it!

      Delete
  10. Please thank Chef for the recipe, it sounds very easy to make AND delicious!
    I love your hat and mittens, lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell him! As for the hat set - I was just using up leftover yarns so a happy coincidence.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.