Friday, December 30, 2022
Progress, but not quite by leaps and bounds
Wednesday, December 28, 2022
There's been progress
Over the past few days I've been working on the latest landscape and as you can see from the photo, I've accomplished quite a bit. There are a couple areas I'm struggling with and I'm not quite sure how I'll finish them. Once I finish quilting the sky area I'll start adding the foreground.
a dull day here and the lighting is
- THIS is a really pretty blanket that could be made larger for an adult as well.
- As further proof that you just never know what you might discover when you visit Chez Magpie, how about THIS?
- THIS is a fun tutorial for making bag handles that are really pretty.
- Have a scroll through the amazing work of THIS artist.
Today's quote..."Whatever is coming up in your life right now is not here to stay. It will pass, but you have to let it. Sometimes that takes getting out of your own way and accepting that things are the way they are. You can't change what happens to you, but you can choose what happens next"
Monday, December 26, 2022
The best of plans
- THIS is a pretty lap quilt pattern that could be embiggened if you wanted a larger size.
- If you're like me and have odd balls of sock yarn lying about, perhaps some of the ideas found HERE might be just the thing OR maybe THIS might be a great use for some of them!
- If you're looking to create a cheese board for your New Year's Eve celebration, perhaps one of the ideas HERE might be helpful.
Today's quote..."If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty would be"
Friday, December 23, 2022
Today, on the eve of the Christmas weekend, I leave you with a collection of quotes that I hope you enjoy...
"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others" (Bob Hope)
- "The way you spend Christmas is far more important than how much" (Henry David Thoreau)
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
A landscape update
There have been several additions to the landscape as you can see...
- THIS is a really pretty scarf design.
- For those of you with an over-abundance of fabric scraps after your Christmas-making frenzy, perhaps THIS might be fun. And if you have yarn bits leftover, how about making THIS.
- I wouldn't mind some of THIS appearing at Christmas time (well, anytime, really!)
- THESE would be a fun edible gift
- And if you're wanting to serve a charcuterie board, HERE are some ideas.
- If you're searching for a quick gift for a neighbour or friend, how about THIS
Today's quote is from Steve Maraboli..."Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you"
Monday, December 19, 2022
Some of you might remember me showing you THIS link to a crocheted vest that I rather liked and that Resident Chef insisted I order the yarn. This is the result...
- Sharon Boggon has announced what looks to be a really fun stitch-a-long for next year. You can find out more HERE.
- HERE are a few quick gifts to make. And HERE. Or how about HERE.
- I wouldn't mind taste-testing a few of THESE! They'd make a great gift accompanied by a selection of crackers. Hmmm....and followed by some of THIS!!!
- There are links to lots of quick gift ideas HERE. And there's more HERE.
.....have you had enough yet??.....
- More ideas HERE.
- THIS would make a pretty gift. As would THIS.
- If you're giving money this year, how about packaging it in a fun way like the ideas HERE. Or HERE. AND HERE
- Some of THIS would make a nice gift, especially if it was packaged with some of THIS.
The quote is from Oren Arnold..."Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect"
Friday, December 16, 2022
Yes, my sewing room looked like a massive explosion happened just shortly after these photos were taken...
Trust me - you don't want to see what THAT mess looked like!!!
I have any business working on these at all.
It will get better.
- There are some great gift ideas HERE.
- It might be a tad late to make THIS for this year, but something to bookmark for next year.
- HERE is another of those awwwww things.
- There might be some ideas HERE for gift giving. And HERE too. And HERE. Oh, and HERE. Or maybe HERE.
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Will it...or won't it...that is the question
Now that Christmas prep is pretty much done and dusted I'm ready to embark on a new landscape adventure. I suspect this one WILL be an adventure because it's more ambitious than any I've tackled before. This is the inspiration photo...
Photo is by Barbara Stanbro and used
with her kind permission
Update on the rant from Monday about the computer keyboard...Resident Chef has evidently gotten tired of listening to me
swear discussing the merits of said keyboard and is insisting that I get a proper one.
And, not quite the promised finish, but I did finish making this bowl
Pattern is THIS one and yarn
was some Lion Brand Hometown
I had lurking in my stash
- If you're planning to wrap gifts in brown paper this year, there are some great ideas HERE.
- Patterns for snowflakes about this time of year, but THIS one caught my eye.
- THIS is a nice memory ornament that's easy to make.
- HERE is another really quick and easy gift you can make for everyone on your list.
- THIS would make a nice gift for the tea-lover on your list.
- There are lots of ideas for jar gifts HERE.
- There's some different ideas HERE for making chocolate bark.
Today's quote is from Tom Selleck..."Few of us are as good as we think we are; none of us are as good as we can be"
Monday, December 12, 2022
Mini rant - and mumblings
First of all, the rant.....my computer keyboard bit the dust and I was happy to know that I had one on hand. Unfortunately the new one is way smaller than my old one and is a complete lesson in frustration. The 'enter' key isn't where the old one was (why????)...the Caps Lock key is in a different place too. All I can say is that I'm glad I already did the links for this post or there wouldn't be any. Every single time I attempt to hit the letter 'a' I get either the caps lock or the letter q. For a person who is a typist it's totally maddening. ARGH!!!!
Rant over - soapbox dusted
I have a project that is almost completed which I hope to show you on Wednesday, but in the meantime, enjoy some links....
- THIS intrigued me.
- HERE is a quick little sewing project that would make great gifts.
- And HERE's another one.
- THIS is a cute Christmas ornament that's easy to make.
- HERE is something that would make a nice Christmas gift.
- I'd really like to attempt making THESE - heaven knows I have enough beads!!
- THESE would become a welcome gift I know. (scroll down for the tutorial).
- If you happen to have any teacups gathering dust in your cupboard, perhaps making THIS would be fun.
- THIS is a fairly simple idea that might be fun to try.
Friday, December 09, 2022
Nothing but mumblings
Sorry folks - I have nothing to show you because I've been living the life of sloth for a couple of days. Christmas 'stuff' is done, wrapping is pretty much done, and I've been taking it easy. Puttering is happening, but it's hard to take pictures of puttering.
- For those of you who love crazy quilting, or even are hoping to learn, Sharon Boggon has a new book out and you can find out more by going HERE.
- HERE is another awwwww moment!
- There are lots of uses for something like THIS
- If you're contemplating making a temperature blanket in 2023 perhaps THIS might be valuable. Even if you're not thinking about a temperature blanket it's fun to look through the web site. Best pour a cuppa before you go though!
- I might have posted a link to THIS before but another dose of cuteness never hurt anybody! (Thanks, Val!)
- Shhhhh - Resident Chef doesn't know it, but he's getting some of THESE for Christmas. Instead of flimsy tea towels, I got bathroom hand towels for extra absorbency. He doesn't use aprons but if he did, I'd make him some of THESE too. Wouldn't a matching set make a great gift?
Today's quote...."When you choose joy you feel good and when you feel good, you do good and when you do good it reminds others of what joy feels like and it might just inspire them to do the same"
Wednesday, December 07, 2022
In which I discuss the fact that I'm losin' it
Some of you might remember that I made advent calendars for our grandies...two were mailed in time for the boys to enjoy last Christmas but of course our wee granddaughter wasn't quite born yet. I, however, knew she was coming and made her an advent in preparation for THIS Christmas and tucked it away. Last month I put it in with a box of goodies heading out their way and felt quite smug knowing that I was on top of things. Well. You can pretty much guess that wasn't the END of the story! Over the weekend we received a call from our mystified son wondering just how they were supposed to attach the cross stitched ornaments TO the advent. Turns out I had totally overlooked sewing the buttons onto it...so there went my feeling of smugness. Good thing she's not quite a year old yet and doesn't know what an advent even is! It will be returned to me and I will do what I should have in the first place. Serves me right for not checking it over before I sent it! And why, I ask you, didn't I put the buttons on when I was making it?? One of the great mysteries of life.
For lack of any better pictures to share with you, thought I'd show you how I packaged the snowflake soaps I showed you earlier. Pretty simple packaging - wrapped in Saran, a little bit of curling ribbon, and a sprig of holly berries 'harvested' from a cheap dollar store wreath.
- There are several interesting tote bag patterns to be found HERE.
- THIS is a really cute little Christmas tree.
- And HERE is another of my awwww discoveries.
- THESE would look really pretty on a Christmas tree and would make sweet additions instead of a 'bow' on gifts.
- Although I'm not sure where you can source the pipe cleaners for THIS, it caught my eye anyway.
- I thought THIS was an interesting article and was worth sharing.
The quote of the day..."If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside"
Monday, December 05, 2022
Something from the Resident Chef
And, just to prove that I haven't been slacking, there's this...
The final knitted gift for this Christmas! Made from stash yarn, using up bits leftover from the sweaters.
- If you find yourself in need of some small bows for any reason, check out THIS tutorial for a great how-to.
- Val sent me the link to THIS and thought it would cause an 'awwww' moment. It did!
- There are some really pretty snowflake designs HERE.
- If you have a family member that's obsessed with Minecraft (there are 3 in my family) then perhaps making one of THESE would be welcome. I, however, won't be making one because it would only lead to fights over it!
- Have a look at the amazingly intricate work of THIS artist.
- I found the discussion at the beginning of THIS to be interesting. Perhaps food for thought??
- And, finally, if you have a kitty in your life, don't you think using scrap yarns to make one of THESE would be a most welcome gift?
Today's quote is from one of my favourites - Ralph Waldo Emerson...
Friday, December 02, 2022
The final toy
This is the last toy I'm making for this year. I'm not overly thrilled with it, but I guess it looks a little like a cat if you REALLY use your imagination.
- The quilters among you might find THIS of interest!
- Sometimes the simpler things are the most welcome gifts as THIS can attest.
- If you know someone who is a fan of chickens, perhaps they'd like THESE!
- I don't know if any of you might have need for THIS but throwing it in, just in case.
- There are lots of great gift ideas to be found HERE.
Today's quote... (disclaimer: This is not my artwork, nor is it my poem...sadly!)