MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Answers to burning questions

I didn't get any stitching done on the pillow cover yesterday so decided I would answer some questions that have arisen over yesterday's post.

First of all, Val asked how I attach things like shells and such to my crazy quilts (sorry I can't answer you directly Val, but you are a 'no reply' so I have to respond here).  I try to sew everything down to my pieces and use nylon beading thread as much as possible...or you can use dental floss if you feel it won't show too much.  I avoid glue as much as possible simply because it tends to yellow and let go over time.  If I do use glue, I use E6000.  The real shells I used on this piece had little holes already drilled in them so they were easy to stitch down....if the item I'm using doesn't have a hole I try to drill them myself.  Anything to avoid using glue!  If you simply can't get a hole into an item, perhaps you can try just looping threads around it in order to hold it in place.  In that case I try to use a colour of thread that blends as closely as possible so that it doesn't show too much.  Another little hint as well - I try to knot my thread after stitching on pretty much every element, just to be sure that if something does let go in years to come, the entire lot won't follow suite.  

Secondly, Boud asked if the embroidery frame she could see in the picture was the one I made myself.  Yes, it is and I absolutely love it.  It's made from PVC pipe using the free instructions from Kathy Shaw found HERE.  I love that it makes my work hands free - always did hate juggling embroidery frames along with my needle and thread!  Here's a picture (albeit not a very good one - it's dull and yucky here again today)....



There are several different ways you can orient this frame, depending on the project you're working on.  I'm sure there are better pictures available on Kathy's site, so have a look there.

Today I must make this little fellow happy...



He's sadly carrying his own tail and looks so sad.  Poor thing - I must put him out of his misery.  Who knows, maybe he might even be treated to some 'pretties'.

Edited to add:  The bunny measures about 8" tall and the pattern can be found HERE.

Today your quote is from H.S. Fritsch...


Age is a quality of mind.
If you have left your dreams behind,
If hope is cold,
If you no longer look ahead,
If your ambitions fires are dead -
Then you are old.

But if from life you take the best,
And if in life you keep the jest,
If love you hold,
No matter how the years go by,
No matter how the birthdays fly
You are not old.



6 comments:

  1. Mary Anne Dear I adore your blog. You are so gracious to share your knowledge, techniques and findings with us and I very much appreciate it. Fantastic frame. The fact that you dislike using glue will allow your hand-crafted pieces to be heirlooms for many generations. And...always such great quotes. Thank you and may you enjoy a wonderful weekend and beyond...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem is so true. A lot of people need to read that. I love the little rabbit, how cute
    he would be with a little embroidery. What size is he and do you have a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mary Anne.... always interested to learn more and I have never added shells and the such like to my crazy blocks.... yet!! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bunny is so cute I printed the pattern in 2 sizes. Thanks for sharing.
    Good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My, the poor little fella does look a mite sad! Pleased to know you are helping him out - he came to the right person for sure. I thought the shells were glued on so it was interesting to read about sewing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary-Anne - Gee that dental floss comes in handy doesn't it? Who'd have thought, can you make sure you pack for our road trip as you just never know when it will come in handy! Love your work and your quote - so true :) Now are you sure you don't have a teeeny, weeny ambition to be flying over the water on a jet-ski?????
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.