MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Soldiering onward....

Carrying on with the Looking Back series...



This was a block I created for donation to a Breast Cancer fundraiser quilt project.  It had to be washable, so I relied on pre-made lace motifs for much of the decoration.



From 2008 through the latter part of 2011 I was heavily into making my recycled denim jackets.  At first I only used blue denim and then I decided that I wanted a black one for myself.  That, in turn, started a whole new round of requests because now everyone wanted a black one too.


The back of one of the many I have made.

The eagle-eyed among you might have noticed that the sleeves of my jackets all featured a seminole pattern.  A few of you might even think that it was a trademark of mine or that perhaps I was rather clever to come up with doing that.
Nope.  Not clever at all.  The original pattern idea called for a 'gusset' under the arm and the seminole was a case of my having absolutely NO earthly idea of how to make a gusset!! 


The end of 2009 saw the beginning of an art doll round robin collaboration that I was involved in.   My naked doll, which I named Shudayra, set off into the world looking like this.


Tomorrow I will show you how she turned out.  The transformation was absolutely incredible!!






Today is another wonderful quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson.... "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not"



 

6 comments:

  1. How did you make your doll? Always interested in doll making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing projects, interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better Mary Anne! More beautiful projects and I can't wait to see how the doll turns out! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm really looking forward to Shudarya's return ...... I am amazed at how the round robins turn out ... everybody has such diverse and unusual ideas for them the moment they show up on their doorstep...

    Now ...what the heck is a seminole sleeve? .. off to Google that.....obviously I don't sew......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your past fun projects. Its nice to see what we've tackled and overcame. Love denim projects, jeans are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the doll wasn't inspired by your hobby of being naked in a field? That would explain the bronchial infection...put some clothes on woman!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.