MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, September 02, 2024

Bullions and daisies

 Although there are days of stitching to do yet on this part of the landscape, I thought I'd give you a little glimpse of what I've been doing...



Methinks, by the time I'm done, I should be really good at making buillions and lazy daisies!  You can also get a better peek at the sashiko stitching in the background.

- I think THESE would make a lovely gift!

- Have a peek at the creations of THIS amazing artist.

- I may have shared the work of THIS artist before but even if I have it's certainly worth checking again.  Be sure to have a look at all her galleries!

- I enjoyed looking through THESE but the sheer magnitude of ends that would have to be sewn in simply boggles the mind.

Today the quote is from Pablo Picasso..."Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up"



16 comments:

  1. Lovely suggestions as usual. I don't have ends in either knitting or crochet, because I work them in as I go. You can do this inconspicuously and save yourself a big headache at the end. Even when you change color you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally work my ends in as I go too...much easier! I find with crochet that sometimes the ends work loose with use and I don't care for that look so much as I would love to test my skills with one of those afghans I won't for that reason.

      Delete
  2. Amber waves of grain with a quilt? in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on that buillion stitch and the lazy daisies look super (that is one of my favorite stitches the lazy daisy),,,,
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the combination of bullion and lazy daisies to create the wheat (and I like lazy daisies too).

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your stitching looks so real.
    The Amy Gross link is fascinating. Her work has an organic feel in the threads and material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I might be heartily tired of wheat by the time I'm done.

      Delete
  5. I love lazy daisy stitches. Use them a great deal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly getting lots of practice with them at the moment!

      Delete
  6. Val (UK)7:12 AM

    Mary Anne, those Riley Blake hexagon pieces are just gorgeous, I am currently in the process of making one of the bookmarks, and I would like to also make the book cover, too. Over the years when we had a property in France, the journey was 12 hours, and I often used to sew the little hexagons just to keep awake. I now have a good supply of them, and the link from Molly & Mama is just the sort of little project I love. Thank you for the linkies - so good.
    Your stitchery is just amazing, and I think it's great! Well done. Vx
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the links Val and that you found something inspiring. Methinks a book with a cover and a bookmark would make perfect gifts for THAT day that's rapidly approaching.

      Delete
  7. The stitching is beautiful. I know that it takes a lot of focus, but it I can imagine you get lost in it too. Somewhat therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapeutic yes, but somewhat boring too!

      Delete
  8. In the end, the meticulous work on the wheat, will be the details that bring out the beauty of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the wheat needed to be embroidered although I do have some fabric that could have looked okay.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.