MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, September 06, 2024

The horror of it all

 I'm blaming the RC for this one!  It seems we will be flying out to see our family again, only this time in October when the weather can be either warm or cold and no telling until you're in the middle of it.  We pride ourselves on being able to travel with just one carry-on and a small bag (more like a large purse) and I knew there would be no space to pack a coat of any sort and I wasn't anxious to have to wear one on the plane either.  What to do.  A friend suggested a 'puffer coat' which compresses into practically nothing....lightweight and warm.  The thrifties didn't yield anything (and not likely to in my size).  So an online search ensued culminating in a skid to a halt when I hit the Eddie Bauer site.  There was a coat - exactly what I wanted and in exactly my colour AND in a tall size too!   https://eddiebauer.ca/p/38925403/women's-microtherm(r)-2.0-down-hooded-jacket?sp=1&color=Dark%20Mulberry&sizeType=Tall

But then...THEN....I looked at the price and just about fell off my chair.  As I was dusting myself off the RC walked by the door and wandered in to see what I was hyper-ventilating about.  He took a look and promptly told me to order the 'd-a ----' thing.  Yep, I'm blaming him (but it sure is a nice coat and will be perfect for what I want AND it fits!).  


I don't have a picture of any stitching to show you because if you scroll down to my previous post where I showed you the wheat stitching, you'll see what I'm still working on.  Methinks I will be heartily sick and tired of wheat by the time I'm done with this one!  

- I'm not too sure about THIS but thought it was interesting anyway.

- THIS caught my eye (it's a paid pattern, but thought I'd share because I like that it looks quilted).

- Have a scroll through the incredible creations of THIS amazing artist!

- HERE is another fun craft to do in the fall.

Today the quote is from Henry Van Dyke..."Use what talent you possess.  The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"


16 comments:

  1. WHOA--well, you won't have to get another jacket for a while, right? And now you have a great traveling coat, too.
    Sometimes you have to wonder where all these skyrocketing prices will go to? Right? Enjoy your trip...and stay safe...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this jacket had better last me the rest of my life at that price!

      Delete
  2. Good for him. Yes expensive but Eddie Bauer lasts forever. I have a down vest which I thrifted about 30 years ago, still working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a down Eddie Bauer long coat that I thrifted for around $20. Didn't know when I bought it that it was that pricey to begin with.

      Delete
  3. Puffy coats are awesome. I managed to get mine relatively inexpensively at the end of the season two years ago. Just wish our Eddie Bauer in the closest city to us hadn't closed down.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many puffer coats make people look like the Michelan Man and I wanted one that was a little more fitted and this one is.

      Delete
  4. Glad he made you go for it - you will be comfortable and warm which you deserve to be. That trip will be here before you know it. Loved the quote today - one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be warm - hard to believe something so light could be, but we'll see. I don't think it's meant for the dead of winter but it will be great in October (unless we get another year when we weren't wearing coats until well into December).

      Delete
  5. Wow. In USD it would be a purchase to think about, too. But now: I envy you being able to pack light! I think I have it down pretty well but there's always something to add just-in-case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily that price was in Canadian dollars, otherwise you'd still be scooping me up off the floor! We're fortunate when we go out to visit our family that we have access to laundry facilities so we can pack a whole lot lighter than we would otherwise.

      Delete
  6. That coat will last you forever! When I was working in London in 2001 I found a coat at the Barbour store. It was about the same price but in 2001 dollars. That's over $500 today. Anyway, I still have that coat and I wear it all winter. I doesn't show any wear at all. Best money I've ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that will be the case with this one too. It's not heavy enough to wear in the dead of winter but will be great for late fall and spring.

      Delete
  7. I've never spent that much on a coat, but when I think about it... with my track record of hanging onto a coat until it wears out, I think that price would be a bargain. I hope it fits perfectly, and that you enjoy wearing it. I also hope you have a great trip! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I certainly never have spent nearly that much and it had better last me a very long time!

      Delete
  8. Now that I've read backwards, I can say you got a VERY nice Anniversary gift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't exchange gifts as a rule but I really wanted a light coat that would be warm and yet packable so I guess I could say it was an anniversary present - to me, from me.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.