MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, October 30, 2023

Nothing much

 Nope, I have nothing to report.  One more hat made and part of one grandie sweater knitted, torn out, knitted and torn out again.  Quite boring, really.  


What I have been doing is an extensive online search to try to find reflective yarn - not an easy thing to locate I'm finding.  #1 son walks home in the dark from work and of course insists on wearing pretty much black from head to toe and then wonders why drivers can't see him.  He's been 'touched by a car' at least twice and luckily wasn't hurt beyond some bruising either time.  Hopefully he's come to the realization that drivers simply can't see him and he can't assume they do.  Anyway, being a Mother-Who-Worries I thought knitting him a hat that was reflective might help.  Oddly, it's easy to find neon glow-in-the-dark yarn which I know he would NEVER wear but finding the reflective version is really difficult.  I finally managed, with the help of my online knitting group, to track some down through Hobbii and have some on order.  They also suggested I try a product by Kreinik called 'Reflective Yarn' which you hold together with the yarn you're using.  Of course finding a Canadian source was impossible (what else is new!) so I have coughed up the big bucks to order from the US.  As usual, the postage is almost twice as much as the thread itself, but I was gratified to discover that at least they were willing to send it here.  We'll see which option works the best.  Of course, making the hat(s) could simply be a moot point if he does his usual and gives his warm things to homeless people he thinks needs it more than he does.  


- There are a number of fun ideas for gifts HERE, most of which I haven't seen before.

- Seeing THESE gave me another 'awwww' moment.  As did THESE.

- And THIS just plain made my jaw drop!  I can't imagine doing it.

- THIS is another of those 'awwwww' things!

Today the quote is from Plato..."No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth"




22 comments:

  1. I hope the reflective knitting works out. Would he agree to attach reflective tape to his jacket? Or wear w hi-viz vest over his coat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does too! And it would be a resounding 'no' to any sort of reflective tape or a vest. He's very conservative in what he wears and insists that black is 'him'. Sadly, he's really thin and tall and it just makes him look like a scarecrow.

      Delete
  2. Overload of Awe this morning! That porcupine melts the heart. I thought at first it was a pattern. I was looking at it thinking it looks so real... then it moves! LOL!
    Thank you!

    A reflective vest can fit rolled up in his coat pocket! Tell him I said so as well.
    I use to joke about mailing to Canada...you could just toss it over the fence. The shipping fees are awful. There should be a consumer friendly system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - that porkie IS adorable (not something I suspect you say too often about a porcupine).
      A reflective vest is a good idea BUT I know #1 son well enough to know that he would never think to wear it and I seriously doubt he'd want to anyway.
      Consumer friendly shipping to Canada? Yeah, talk to me about the so-called free trade agreement (NOT!)

      Delete
  3. Lion Brand has a really nice acrylic reflective yarn. I made a hat out of it and it's REALLY reflective. It's called Basic Stitch Reflective and it's sold at Walmart and Amazon online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I'm making a note of it and will keep it in mind if the Hobbii version I ordered isn't viable.

      Delete
  4. I never even knew there was such a thing as reflective yarn:000 Scarey to think of your son's two close calls!! Not good!!
    Hope the knitting works out well...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's reflective yarn and there's neon glow-in-the-dark. I'd love to see him wearing the latter but I know he wouldn't so there's no point in going there. I *might* get away with something that's reflective, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you had such a hard time finding something so useful. So if its unfortunate that your son doesn't use the hat, then know you help some homeless person stay more safe. You're a good Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought extra yarn so I can make more than one hat because I suspect I'm likely going to need to.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that your son has been touched by a couple of cars and you are right to be worried. The reflective hat seems a great idea and I hope that he will see sense and wear it! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he sees sense too! You'd think, at 40, he'd get smart.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:10 AM

    Sherry of createology: Once a Mom…always a Mom! We never stop caring for and worrying about our children. Glad your son has remained safe. Fun links and the porcupine baby eating corn is Priceless. Long pants, sweaters and slippers here now because it is definitely cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always a Mom, that's for sure! Turned cold here the past couple of days too so I guess it's time for digging out the winter wardrobe.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry you had such a hard time finding the yarn, it is scary that he has almost been hit, sad that postage has to be so expensive.
    Thank-you for the links, the fish were my favorite. I love the porcupine baby is adorable.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just glad I was able to find it - now just have to hope it gets here in enough time for me to make the hat.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, I thought I saw reflective yarn here in Canada. Just can not remember where.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - I have some on the way from Hobbii, just don't know how long it might take to get here.

      Delete
  10. Sorry you're having a hard time finding the yarn you need. Years ago, I made something similar to a safety patrol belt out of reflective fabric for two friends who were running at night. I honestly don't know if they ever used them. Hopefully your son will keep the hat and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful he keeps it too. The yarn has shipped so we'll see how long it takes to get here.

      Delete
  11. That shawl is gorgeous, and I'd probably hang it on a wall rather than wearing it. I'm curious that the pattern page mentions steeks; what would you steek on something knit as a flat triangle?? Intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steeks? You're kidding!! I did NOT notice that. I'm with you, why would it need steeks?

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.