MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, October 02, 2023

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble

 Over the weekend Resident Chef and I pooled our abilities and created these...


Six jars of goodness disguised as zucchini relish.  It's a favourite in our family so a lot of these will be gifted at Christmas time.  If you're interested in making some for yourself, here's the recipe...

MA and RESIDENT CHEF’s ZUCCHINI RELISH

5 – 8 medium zucchinis
3 stalks celery
2 – 3 medium onions
3 red peppers
1/3 c. pickling salt
-----
2 ½ c. white sugar
3 ½ c. white vinegar
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoon EACH of celery & mustard seeds

Chop zucchini, onions, celery and peppers – enough to equal 12 cups of vegetables.  Add additional zucchini or red peppers as needed.  Combine in large pot with 1/3 c. pickling salt.  Place a plate on top and weight down.  Let sit overnight.

Drain and rinse well and drain again.  Prepare jars  by heating in a 230 degree oven (keep hot). 

Combine sugar, vinegar, garlic and spices.  Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add vegetables and bring back to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  Place in sterilized jars.  Process in covered boiling water bath for 15 mins.  Remove lid, turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before removing jars.

Makes between 5 and 6 pint jars.

And, I haven't been slacking in the creative department and have created these hand warmers, also destined for the Christmas box...



Pattern is pretty easy and I used the tutorial found HERE (there's a link to the printable label as well).

- THIS is a totally shameless request on my part but it will also lead you to seeing some pretty incredible quilts.  I have three of my pieces in the voting in the AQS QuiltWeek contest and I'd love votes if you're so inclined.  Simply click on the 'Canada' designation and you'll find three of my pieces included - 'Cabin In The Snow'; 'Cobwebs & Splinters' and an Untitled (an old rusty truck.  TIA (and do feel free to vote on any of the others you like!!).

- Have a peek through the galleries of THIS artist.

- You can tell I have 'that' date in my mind, so THIS caught my eye for a fun little gift.  

- And, in yet another instance of you never knowing what you'll find here, perhaps printing THIS and keeping it in your car would be a good idea.

- THESE are so cute!  And reusable too.

Today's quote..."When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills"

26 comments:

  1. I have portable jumper kit. I think it's what people do nowadays. Safer than using jumper cables and a second car. I've used mine several times. Total lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I must look into getting one of those, just in case.

      Delete
  2. Thank-you for sharing the recipe, I find it interesting and useful to warm the jars in the oven, great idea.
    I have to take Michael to the doctor but will post on my blog about voting on your quilts later today.
    I do hope you win
    💙💚❤️🧡
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine - I hope Michael gets good news at the doctor.
      And, I don't think there's any 'winning' per se regarding the voting....I think it's just fun and a chance to see some amazing quilts.

      Delete
  3. It's such fun to click through your links, Mary Ann. I've got quilts in the AQS parade, too. I'll go look for yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones are yours Nann? I'll happily go and vote for them too. (ps. glad you like the links)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Sherry of createology: Of course I voted for your quilts! Your zucchini relish looks yummy. Thank you for the recipe even though I probably won’t make it as hubby is not too fond of zucchini. Your hand warmers are a great gift for the cold Winter weather. Happy October Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relish doesn't actually taste like zucchini, so your DH might like it. Might want to buy a jar at the grocery store and test him out on it before you commit to making it.
      Thank you for the votes!!

      Delete
  5. I did click on Canada and got an error message, no such maker or work. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I tried again with none of the search terms they asked for, got in, and voted! Yay me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I voted for all 3. They were fantastic. While I was at it, I voted for a couple of Kentucky pieces. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, by all means vote for any you like, no matter where they're from!

      Delete
  8. That relish looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One year I made handwarmers as part of the Christmas gift for the boys. They love them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some - somewhere - but I forget to use them. Maybe this will be the winter!

      Delete
  10. Voted!
    In summer when handwarmers are not so necessary, they work well as paperweights, especially for those large rolls of wrapping paper. They hold the rolls in place while cutting out.
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a good thought!! Nothing's worse than having to wrestle with rolls of wrapping paper.
      (and thank you for the vote!!)

      Delete
  11. My votes are in! You sure have been busy filling that box (and jars).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of space in the box yet, I'm afraid! Thank you for voting!!!

      Delete
  12. I checked out the beautiful quilts and scrolled and voted for so long, I still probably only saw a fraction of all the quilts posted. I did find yours, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen all the quilts yet either - so many from so many talented artists.

      Delete
  13. And was sure to vote on my favorite landscape quilters' works of art (which were yours ;^). I'm so glad I have followed along here long enough to instantly recognized yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww - thank you! Nice to know my work is recognizable.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.