MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

A toy...or a tool?

 Some would call this thing a toy but I call it a handy dandy tool for knitters and crocheters (and no, it's not my original idea!).  When I count rows I always have a piece of paper or a notebook for that purpose but often I misplace the piece of paper.  I heard about using a Pop It toy for counting rows and I can honestly say where was it all my life?  You can read more about it by going HERE.  I got mine in a discount store so they should be readily available.



- If you go HERE you'll find a number of ideas for afghan designs.

- If you have some bulky yarn in your stash and wonder what to do with it, perhaps THIS might give you an idea (scroll down for free pattern)

- Seeing THIS brought back memories (but also made my teeth ache at just the thought of eating it!)

- Making one (or more!) of THESE would be cute for fall.

Today the quote is from Nelson Mandela..."There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living"



19 comments:

  1. I think it's always nice to find a use for something other than what it was intended especially if it's something fun like the pop it toy. I have wanted to try making that candy but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe for the holidays this year - thanks for bringing it up. And it was interesting to me to find out through that article that white sugar isn't vegan. Didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandies have the pop up toys and I spent a long time with the wee one on my lap while she patiently popped each one and then waited for me to turn it over so she could do it all over again. Why should kids have all the fun!!
      I won't be making that candy I don't think - not something I would want to eat myself. Mind you, maybe making it would be a good thing because I wouldn't be tempted!

      Delete
  2. I love sponge candy! But I don't think I want to make it, candy is high risk cooking, what with boiling sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's scary to contemplate making it, but I just might give it a try for Christmas giving.

      Delete
  3. What a neat use for something that I can remember giving to children to use as a fidget helper.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Proves there is often more than one use for things.

      Delete
  4. Whenever I see "fidget" toys at the checkout, I can't help thinking a lot of fidgety children would benefit from learning to knit or crochet, putting that restless, repetitive finger movement into creating something satisfying. It's a nice twist that you've found a fibery use for a fidget toy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my original idea but I thought it was brilliant. You're right, knitting and crocheting would be good for some children but not something that would be acceptable in a classroom situation.

      Delete
    2. Do you mean children are allowed to use these during classes? I had no idea!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Quote from Nelson Mandela, I am not a knitter or crocheter, but would love to play with the pop-it toy.
    My teeth would hurt too.


    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so soothing about those pop it toys, akin to popping bubble wrap.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought so and it's certainly proving to be invaluable for some of the patterns I do.

      Delete
  7. Honeycomb candy is new to me. Love the pumpking quilt block, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that candy as a kid, but even then I thought it was too sweet.

      Delete
  8. Your idea for counting rows is brilliant. Thank-you.
    After reading Thread Bare Creations, I immediately made her paper pieced pumpkin. Love it.
    Then I went down the rabbit hole and looked deeper into her blog. Got lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my original counting rows idea, but I thought it was worth sharing.
      Nice that you make the pumpkin and hope you share pictures on your blog!

      Delete
  9. What a great idea for this little fidgit toy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proves there's always more than one use for some things!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.