MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, October 06, 2023

Afternoon trippin' - and another beginning

 The weather here has been spectacular the past few days so on the spur of the moment Wednesday afternoon we decided to take a little drive north to see the fall colours.  

Above, just a few of the trees (hard to find beautiful ones
not spoiled by things like hydro lines AND in an
area where it's safe to pull off).  

Below is a little gem called Furnace Falls that we
last visited when we were dating.  On that occasion
we watched two guys try to canoe over the falls.
Not exactly the brightest idea because the canoe split
in two and they were left sitting in the falls.  
We tried very hard not to laugh.


Remember that pile of denim I showed you a few days ago?  Well, another landscape has started...

I've been toying with the thought of trying to do one in denim so now is the time.  Inspiration photo is this one by Dale Stewart (and once again used with his kind permission).

- There's a great tutorial HERE for making perfect circles for applique.

- If you happen to be turning your thoughts to making some Christmas ornaments this year, perhaps something HERE might spark your imagination.

- And THIS too!

Today's quote..."May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten"

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like a trip down memory lane as well as leaf peeping! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly was. We travel the back roads as much as we can so we could avoid the traffic elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing all the fall colors. I hope that the trees in our area don't drop their leaves before they change - so many are browning up instead. Oh, I love what you're doing with the denim. Great idea. And some great links to bookmark too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year the leaves in our area are spectacular and it was well worth the trip to see them. Luckily we went when we did because yesterday is was overcast and we had rain overnight which must have knocked a lot of the leaves down.
      I love working with denim but had to pretty much quit when I devloped 'Arthur' in my hands. At least this project isn't as heavy as the jackets I used to make so it's easier to work with.

      Delete
  3. I think that was a good outcome at the falls if everyone could laugh. Not a bright idea, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water there isn't very deep so I expect likely they thought it would be a smart venture. We have chuckled about that for years so it was nice to revisit the falls.

      Delete
  4. Great news! I am glad y'all had a chance to see the foliage. Great links. The perfect circle one will come in handy.
    Your new project is really nice using the denim. It is quite a surprise to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we decided to take the road trip - who knows what next year will bring.
      Denim has always been a 'thing' with me so I suspect it was only a matter of time before I tried using it in a landscape.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Sherry of createology: How JOYful to take an Autumn drive to see the glorious Fall colors. Very sweet ti revisit your waterfalls on your drive. Your new denim landscape is amazing. Perfect round circles? Is it possible? I see Jenny of elefantz has it mastered. Our weather is just right. Not much Fall colors here but elsewhere in Utah they are spectacular! Blessings Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly picked the best day for our little road trip because it's been on the dull side and some rain since. The trees we see from our window change colour but only to yellows and rusts...alas no reds and oranges because of the type of trees they are. I'm having fun on this landscape - denim has often been my 'thing' so it feels a bit like coming home.

      Delete
  6. The denim is giving your piece a coastal look...to me. The photographer's capture of the sky makes it look like a painting. Excellent shot.
    Trees are becoming beautiful around here too. I'd like to travel up to the Indiana line to a fabric store (everything 5 bucks a yd) next week mostly for the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale is an excellent photographer and as soon as I saw this photo I thought denim would be perfect. Hopefully I'll be right!
      $5 a yard - wow....that's really cheap. Makes you wonder just how much the quilt shops mark things up.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes! A denim landscape! Your fall photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved denim so when I saw Dale's photo I knew what I wanted to attempt.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that is an awesome photo. A ghostly-looking house. I'm looking forward to watching this next creation of yours. Your photos of your day trip are so inviting. Makes want to get in the car and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minute I saw that photo I knew what I wanted to do with it. To me it just screams 'denim'.
      Our day trip was exaxtly that - a drop everything, get in the car and go day.

      Delete
  9. Oh, those colours. so beautiful! We don't have much colour here yet, but I'm going a little west tomorrow and hope to see some then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun went behind a cloud JUST as I attempted to get the photo of the trees so the effect isn't as good as it could have been. Hope you see some colours!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.