MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

A close up

 I've been wanting to attempt this sort of technique on one of my landscapes and decided that the time is now.  I didn't know if I could pull it off but I'm quite pleased.  The original photo I'm working from for the landscape shows a field of autumn grasses in the foreground and I didn't want to spend the days/hours/ weeks?? of time it would take to embroider them individually.  This consists of bits of hand dyed cheesecloth and various other fabrics of unknown origin and some teeny bits of tatted edging that had frayed to the point of being unusable for anything else.  What do you think??



I tried to do a video but it doesn't want to load, so
you'll have to see it this way instead.

- Perhaps you'd like to try THIS?  As a little side note, I saw an idea for using a splatter screen from the dollar store instead of the frame they call for in this post.  I'm all for cheap supplies!

- I think THESE would make a really pretty 'curtain' in a window.

- Have a peek through the gallery of THIS artist!

- THIS is a cute little project you might like to try.




17 comments:

  1. That's very successful. Much better than stitching in this context. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, go me! It's a technique I've been wanting to try so decided now is better than later.

      Delete
  2. I really like how this new technique turned out--so pretty nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds lots of texture which was what I was hoping for. Sadly I don't think it shows up very well in a photo.

      Delete
  3. Cheesecloth seems to be an amazing medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is fun to work with and it takes dye (or in my case, watered down paint!) beautifully.

      Delete
  4. Very well done. I love the way the colours seem to blend effortlessly together.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun playing with potions to get the colours the way I wanted them....a drop of this, a glob of that, add water and stir.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! The autumn grasses you have created are incredible. Such a clever technique you imagined. What a pity the video wouldn't load as I would've love to view the process, Mary Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it's not my original technique - it's been done many many times by other artists, but it's the first time I've attempted it.

      Delete
  6. That looks SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the comment too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! I suspect it's a technique I will be using again at some point.

      Delete
  8. It looks perfect! You are such an artist, Mary Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a great solution! And thanks for the Emerson quote.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.