MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, April 01, 2024

Mostly mumblings and a little housekeeping

 I think I mentioned awhile ago that I was undertaking a 'houseclean' of my blog posts starting from my first post in 2006.  As of now I've completed 2006-2019 and have removed 'dead' links as well as added labels to some that got overlooked.  If you're interested in any of the categories in my sidebar feel free to click on them and go exploring.

Sometimes I wonder at the mysteries of life that seem to happen with alarming regularity.  A few weeks ago I told you that I was doing a trunk show at our local quilt guild and sharing my collection of landscapes.  I brought them home and put them away.  It wasn't until I got them out again to prep for the second trunk show that I realized that one was missing.  I called the venue and nothing had been turned in.  A plea subsequently was sent out to all the guild members but so far the lost hasn't been found.  I seriously hesitate to point fingers and think that someone has stolen it and am choosing to believe that it was inadvertently scooped up and taken home by someone else who hasn't touched their things since then and therefore hasn't noticed.  T'is a mystery that I hope gets resolved at the next meeting in a couple weeks.

I don't often do any sort of book reviews (why, I don't know) but have to point out two that I've just read that I highly recommend.  First, I finished Ken Follett's 'The Armor Of Light' and this is what 'Goodreads' says about the plot... The Spinning Jenny was invented in 1770, and with that, a new era of manufacturing and industry changed lives everywhere within a generation. A world filled with unrest wrestles for control over this new world order: A mother’s husband is killed in a work accident due to negligence; a young woman fights to fund her school for impoverished children; a well-intentioned young man unexpectedly inherits a failing business; one man ruthlessly protects his wealth no matter the cost, all the while war cries are heard from France, as Napoleon sets forth a violent master plan to become emperor of the world. As institutions are challenged and toppled in unprecedented fashion, ripples of change ricochet through our characters’ lives as they are left to reckon with the future and a world they must rebuild from the ashes of war.

And the second book is 'The Women' by Kristin Hannah.  It wasn't an easy book to read but I would put it in my top 10 best books list.  Here's what 'Goodreads' has to say...  Women can be heroes. When twenty-year-old nursing student Frances “Frankie” McGrath hears these words, it is a revelation. Raised in the sun-drenched, idyllic world of Southern California and sheltered by her conservative parents, she has always prided herself on doing the right thing. But in 1965, the world is changing, and she suddenly dares to imagine a different future for herself. When her brother ships out to serve in Vietnam, she joins the Army Nurse Corps and follows his path. As green and inexperienced as the men sent to Vietnam to fight, Frankie is over- whelmed by the chaos and destruction of war. Each day is a gamble of life and death, hope and betrayal; friendships run deep and can be shattered in an instant. In war, she meets—and becomes one of—the lucky, the brave, the broken, and the lost. But war is just the beginning for Frankie and her veteran friends. The real battle lies in coming home to a changed and divided America, to angry protesters, and to a country that wants to forget Vietnam.

- I try not to send you to too many commercial links, but I have to say the cross stitch designs HERE are absolutely awwww-some!

- My goodness, I can't imagine being able to crochet THIS small!  (be sure to scroll down)

- Those of us who suffer from depression might want to read THIS and make up little therapy kits that are similar.  Perhaps you know someone who is battling mental health issues and who might benefit from the gift of such a little kit.


This simply made me laugh out loud so I had to share...




20 comments:

  1. Oh hopefully it was scooped up in error and not stolen...and you will have it returned!! So sorry to hear this...;000
    We are having a resting day here after all the family visiting--and such unaccustomed activity for us...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resting days are good! I'm choosing to think that someone scooped it up in error and hoping that I'm right.

      Delete
  2. A blog cleanout would be a good idea for me, too -- esp. the deleted photos that show up as an X. Thanks for the recommendations. The Women is on many people's lists! I've only read one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go back through and deal with the deleted photos but this time I concentrated on the links aspect and updating the labels.
      I noticed this morning that our library has 57 holds on just the print edition of The Women - don't know how many are waiting for the audio version. I must have lucked out and put my hold request in pretty much on the day they first got it.

      Delete
  3. Oh I hope very much that the missing piece materializes and that there was a simple mistake made and not yet realized! I have had artwork stolen - once an entire portfolio of exhibition photographs - and it is a maddening and sickening feeling. Compounded by people who, outrageously but well-meaning I suppose, told me that I should be "flattered that someone wanted it badly enough to steal it." Snarl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've already heard the flattered comment and chose to ignore that too. I can't imagine how you felt to have an entire portfolio stolen...ouch.

      Delete
  4. I had to come back after visiting the link about the "therapy packs." What a simple and wonderful idea. Love it. Thank you for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great idea too. Wish I had known about that when I was in the worst of my depression.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, that mini crochet is much on the eyes a strain to look at. Very neat find
    Sorry one of you quilts is missing. Did you take photos of your set up? A picture might jog your memory of where it might have been.
    The bear is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply can't imagine trying to crochet that small!
      Unfortunately there wasn't a 'set up' per se - it was a trunk show, so each of the quilts was held up individually, then made a trip around the room, and then set out on tables for people to come and look at. Somewhere between the holding up and the getting home is when it disappeared.

      Delete
  6. Almost spit my drink out when I read that little meme. Hope you find the piece that is missing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it gets returned too. Glad you enjoyed the little 'joke' - it made me laugh, for sure.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I hope the missing landscape is discovered and returned. Now, as for that funny... let's just say I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Sherry of createology: Oh Dear MA: I do hope your missing Landscape is returned to you…or the money it brings. I cannot imagine crocheting with thread! Needle Tatting with thread is challenge enough. I had to laugh at this meme. Except I hope it never happens to me. Someone must be wishing this on my husband…we are still searching for a resolve. Spring is in full Smiles here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been several weeks and no sign of the landscape as yet. Hopefully it might reappear at our meeting next week.

      Delete
  9. The craft therapy kit sounds great... not happy about your missing landscape.... I love Ken Follet books, haven't read that one though... and wow!! That mini crochet - might need to got into a craft therapy kit I think... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the craft therapy kit idea would work with many different circumstances. And I'd definitely need one if I tried to crochet that small!

      Delete
  10. There's a woman on Instagram that is making a full-size granny square afghan/bedspread crocheting her squares with sewing thread. She has over 1,000 done already. It's beautiful and colorful but I would have lost my eyesight by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing thread? She has to be nuts! My goodness, I can't imagine it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.