MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Tall Midget

 Resident Chef often refers to himself as being a tall midget and in some ways that's true.  He's a little over 6' tall but only sports a 28" inseam with a very long torso.  You'd think, with a long torso, that he'd be able to get t-shirts in a tall size and he often can, but unfortunately the sleeve lengths end up bugging him by being too long.  So, part of my wifely duties entail shortening sleeves and legs.  Yesterday was 'the' day and I ended up doing at least six t-shirts, accompanied by much swearing aimed towards my sewing machine who balks mightily at sewing knit fabric and certainly no more than two layers of it at one time.  Even using a 'proper' needle meant for knits doesn't make her happy and thusly doesn't make me happy either.  Never mind, they're done.  But...not a single stitch got made on my latest landscape.  Resident Chef = happy; Magpie = not so much.  Oh well, at least I got a little something added to the landscape the day before and I can show you that...




If you have an over-abundance of zucchini and wonder what you can make, perhaps you'd like to give this recipe a try....

ZUCCHINI ONION PIE

3 large eggs                
1 c. grated Parmesan
½ c. veg. oil
1 T. minced fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 c. sliced zucchini
1 c. Bisquik
1 small onion, chopped

   Whisk first 7 ingredients.  Add remaining
& pour into greased 9” deep dish pie plate. 
350 – 25-35 mins or til lightly browned.

- have a peek through the gallery of THIS artist (I especially love the animals!)

- And the galleries filled with works by THIS artist are fascinating too.

- Lots of links HERE for different quilting techniques.

- I've seen a technique similar to THIS that requires a lot of pressure/rubbing to do the transfer.  This looks much simpler to do, provided you have a heat gun.  

Today the quote is from Wayne Dyer..."When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change"


22 comments:

  1. Some very advanced quilting works here. Some are smaller than you'd think, wonderfully detailed, with great color sequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could work that small but I can't manage to get the details quite the way I want them. Yes, much more advanced!!

      Delete
  2. I have trouble shortening Harvey's jeans. The needle just does not want to go through the seams. Makes me very unhappy and causes lots of needle breakage even with the correct needle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old Janome would sew through multiple layers of denim with no problems (as multiple reycled denim jackets would attest). How I mourn the demise of that machine!

      Delete
  3. on my gosh - i lurve that truck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll like it better when next you see it!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:44 AM

    You're so funny MA!! My sewing machine does not like anything stretchy either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I mostly sew with cottons now because this machine balks at pretty much everything else.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Sherry of createology: Oh yes…if you sew people think that you are the one to do the repairs or adjustments etcetera. Not my favorite requests. Love your latest landscape in progress. I like the zucchini recipe and will try it. Hubby and I were gone in July. A seven state road trip. Exhausting yet saw some beautiful countrysides and many American treasures like Mt. Rushmore. Always so good to be home. August Blessings Dear. Happy Belated Birthdays for You and Resident Chef. Another trip around the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mind doing alterations for the RC but I turn down everybody else because it's not something I want to get into.
      Seven states? Wow you must have seen a lot but I know it's always good to get home again.
      (and thank you for the BD wishes too!)

      Delete
  6. Ok. I just figured out you shortened the sleeves. Sad but true, figuring out how isn't always a quick process for me.
    Bee's wax? On the needle, I use mine frequently.
    Thank you for the reminder. I don't have any knit needles left. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - I've never tried bees wax on a sewing machine needle. Will have to remember that for next time!

      Delete
  7. Well you have to keep the resident chef happy.... that recipe sounds yummy, I'll have to save it for our summer xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, altering his shirts and pants is a small thing I can do for him. He always saves them up so there's a whole bunch to do at once so it ends up seeming like a bigger chore than it really is.

      Delete
  8. Love the additions Mary Anne and I am sure RC appreciates the newly altered T shirts! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's happier with his shirts now. For some reason he's fussy about the length of his sleeves.

      Delete
  9. What a blessing he has you to take care of that, I'm hopeless on a sewing machine! I can barely sew a straight line.
    Your newest piece is coming along nicely.
    I might have to try that recipe, but I'm not sure the boys would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I alter his clothes under duress (but I'd never tell him that!).
      That recipe is going to be a keeper for us because I know we'll keep making it.

      Delete
  10. I recently mended the 2022 (year, not number of) rips and rents in my garden trousers, and that's all the sewing modifications on my docket for a while. Would like to get my Featherweight into action and make a nice top or dress, but have this idea that I need to clean the whole house before there's a space to sew in. The prospect slows me down a fair bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate that I have a dedicated room (spare bedroom) and I can make as much mess as I'd like - until I start losing things and then I know it's time to shovel it out.

      Delete
  11. An uncooperative sewing machine does cause a lot of frustration.
    It is amazing how a couple of pieces can automatically make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do a lot of muttering when I'm trying to sew certain things with this machine. Compared to my beloved Janome that would sew through absolutely anything this one comes up sadly lacking.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.