MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Boring - so how about this

 Yes, what I've been doing on the landscape is pretty boring and really difficult to see in a photo, so I thought I'd show you what I've been working on in the evenings...


Unfortunately these are coming to a screeching halt until I can get some more yarn.  If you want the pattern, it's pretty simple...

1. Cast on an even # of stitches (I used 52) - any yarn will do, but I'm using Paton's Kroy Sock yarn.  I think a finer yarn shows off the pattern better. Simply cast on enough stitches to make the width of scarf you require, making sure there's an even number.

2.  Knit 4 rows

3. Knit first 4 stitches of each row.  In between, just YO, K2 tog until 4 stitches before the end. Knit the 4 stitches.  Knit until you have a scarf length you like (or you run out of yarn!), making sure you leave enough yarn to knit 4 rows to finish it off.  I am guessing that three balls of Kroy will make a scarf about 60" long.

- Well, I can't say that I ever imagined doing THIS but it is intriguing.

- THIS intrigues me too.  I would like a jacket using this technique.

- HERE is another thing you might like to try doing.

- And HERE is another one.  

- Have a peek at the work by THIS amazing artist.

Today's quote is from Stephen R. Covey..."The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand.  We listen to reply"

16 comments:

  1. Good scarf instructions, easy to understand. And that to me is golden.
    The Outlander costumer link, fantastic and so easy to put together. I like that kind of patched style.
    The Covey quote...I try to listen, but sometimes it is really difficult to listen to dumb things.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knitting abilities only lend themselves to pretty basic patterns. I know I can do things that are more intricate but I simply don't want to put that level of concentration into it.
      And yes, listening to dumb is something that seems to be happening more and more, but at least if we listen we can sort out the just plain stupid ignorance from the good stuff.

      Delete
  2. Val (UK)4:46 AM

    Mary Anne, I really like the Outlander-inspired shirt - giving a lot of food for thought. You have reminded me that I need to start knitting items for the shoebox appeal for Christmas - my knitting can be rather slow, so perhaps a good idea to start now! Thank you again, MA, for the links, I always look forward to them.
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that shirt too even though I doubt I'll ever act upon it.
      My knitting is low too but at least it gives me something to do. I'm going to have to fire up my needles if I intend to get sweaters done for the grandies this year.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Sherry of createology: Hello MA Dear. Your hands are always in motion creating wonderful gifts. I do like the Outlander costume and would gladly make that patchwork shirt however I would never be able to wear it…at least not with hubby! Ink making would be fun however it is very messy. Love the artist created flora. Good quote today. I don’t always listen enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Resident Chef would think I'd gone off the deep end (deeper than usual!) if I were to try to wear that shirt too, so I know how you feel. I made walnut ink once and it was fun to do but I won't be making any in this apartment - not with carpet throughout. I can just imagine the mess I would more than likely make!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful yarn colors, I am not a knitter or crocheter but love seeing what people are knitting and crocheting.
    Thanks for the interesting ink links.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This yarn was simply using up some of my stash. I gambled that I would have enough on hand but I'll need another ball of each to finish them.Glad you found the ink links interesting.

      Delete
  5. These are looking lovely. I really like the yarn you are using and I hope the new batch arrives soon! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope it gets here soon too because I'm anxious to finish them.

      Delete
  6. I like the jacket idea too. It's not the old Georgia Bonesteel work that announces to the world "this is patchwork." (I loved her shows.) I'm getting the feeling you might be doing some ink and dye work soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no ink or dye going to happen here. Apartment life and carpet throughout means it's just a huge recipe for disaster in my hands.

      Delete
    2. The first textile thing I remember learning to do was to knit a scarf - I never did finish it, and since then have started on several scarves but still have never brought one to completion - must be some kind of mental block I think. As for the links you add to your post - there are some serious rabbit holes you're putting out there!

      Delete
    3. Knitting scarves isn't for the faint of heart because they do take forever. Fortunately this pattern works up really fast - or at least fast in scarf territory anyway.

      Delete
  7. I hope you get more soon, such beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew when I started them that I didn't have enough yarn to finish but at least I enjoyed working on them for as long as it lasted.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.