MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, July 24, 2023

Sky's the limit?

 First of all, Resident Chef thanks you for all the birth day wishes - we did go out for supper, ate far too much, and spent the next day in a state of sloth until we recovered. 

I had the probably-not-so-smart idea to create the sky for the new landscape using hexies.  Not exactly the most un-time-consuming process and then I have to contemplate how I'm going to quilt it.  Sometimes my ideas don't always translate into being easy!


And now, my attention has to deviate from the landscape and switch over to doing something with these fabrics...



- There are a number of quite interesting fibre art books reviewed HERE.  Perhaps you might see one you would want in your own library (or try to find them through your local library).  

- I enjoyed scrolling through THESE.  

- I know I've sent you HERE before, but it's worth another visit because there's been a lot added to her galleries.  

- You have to go and see THIS!!!  Pay attention to the fact that there are gazillions of itty bitty teeny pieces that went into it AND she used her own hand-dyed fabrics.  

Today's quote..."Life is too short to worry about what others say or think about you.  So have fun and give them something to talk about"

18 comments:

  1. "Have fun"--is right; life is so short--might as well do what you like best!! :))) Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all have too many responsibilities we need to tend to, so having fun for a balance is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. That tiny piecing quilting mentions she used someone else's design. I didn't know quilters did that. I assumed they created their own. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most quilters these days use designs someone else has created. I'm one of the odd-balls in the crowd that does my own. There are others out there that do, but I think the majority use designs from someone else.

      Delete
    2. All the more reason to support original artists like you!

      Delete
    3. At least I can honestly say my work is always one-of-a-kind...there will never be another one exactly the same.

      Delete
  3. I really like the hexes for the sky, I think it gives a three-dimension look, I am sure the quilting will be beautiful, you are a very talented lady.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I don't know if I'm going to end up actually using them but will wait and see what they look like when I put the rest of it together.

      Delete
  4. What a great quote! The hexies add a great dimension to the sky you're creating. Now I'm off to look at the book lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for a way to create a 'presence' for the prairie sky and thought maybe the hexies would be a good possibility. We'll see!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, very interesting choice for the sky in your landscape. I do know that however you choose to quilt it will be perfect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky might end up being scuttled yet, but for now I will carry on and see how it looks once I add the foreground elements.

      Delete
  6. I have missed a few posts Mary Anne but I have had a look through at some of the ones I have missed. Loved the Churches Landscape and, although late, I wish the Resident Chef a happy birthday. Glad you enjoyed a meal out!! Looking forward to seeing how the sky progresses and what you do with the new fabrics! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the b-day wishes for Resident Chef - I'll pass them along. I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with that sky too!

      Delete
  7. Un-time consuming. New word. Love it.
    Another pillow case coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm full of words that really should be in the dictionary and I don't understand why they aren't. (nope - not a pillowcase)

      Delete
  8. The sky looks cool, I'm sure you'll figure something out on how to quilt it.
    Ooh, bees, I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like bee-themed fabrics too so couldn't resist. Just hope the dress fit her!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.