MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, March 02, 2007

A smallish rant, and a good thing

Obviously I have no pictures today. I'm still working on my 'wedding' CQ and it is just more of the same, so it's not all that exciting to look at over and over again.

I promised a rant, and here it is...a friend forwarded a very upsetting email to me today. It showed a number of fashion models who are absolutely nothing but bones with a little skin stretched over top. What, I ask you, can be attractive about that? Why must the fashion industry be so hell bent on convincing the normal world that this is desirable? Do they have no sense of responsibility - both to the models themselves and the general population who are brainwashed into thinking this is a desirable way to be? How many models must suffer massive health problems and, most likely, ultimate death before this stops?

I know there is a certain faction out there who will say that the models do it to themselves. Maybe so, but if that is the only way the fashion industry will hire them, what else can they do?

Now for the good thing. Firstly, I am in no way advocating that you should buy these products...I have no affiliation with the company in any way. Have you seen the new advertising campaign for the Dove Pro-Age products? If you haven't, they show beautiful (many nude...but VERY tasteful!) women of 'certain age', with grey hair, lumps, and bumps, and wrinkles. Their slogan is 'beauty has no age limit'. It's too bad the fashion industry as a whole wouldn't take a page from THAT book!

I return you to your regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!when you"become of a certain age" there are no role models to follow.it's all those pathetic creatures that make a living parading their bones. no real women out there that you can look up to.after a certain age if you've not conformed into looking and being a little old lady you are invisible.and the irony of it all is that in numbers we beat the skinny bones.how's that for market share, thinking minds and powers that be???
    off the soapbox

    neki desu

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.