MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Kawandi-ing

 I have seen a number of people talking about 'kawandi' so thought I would explore it a bit and this is what I've been doing over the past couple of days...



If you want to learn more about the technique, have a look HERE.  I know people make full-sized quilts using kawandi, but this gal won't be.  It was fun to do and I am enjoying it but not enough to make any more.

- THIS is a fun and easy technique you might like to try.

- Although THIS was targeted towards kids, I think adults would have fun with it too.

- THIS is a nice little project that you might find useful too.

- Have a click through THIS gallery (fun to study her work to get a sense of how she creates it)

Today's quote is from George Orwell..."The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those that speak it"

12 comments:

  1. I think kawandi looks interesting but thus far I'm not compelled to try it. One blogger (I've forgotten who) showed how she does kawandi-style piecing (outside to center) and then machine-quilts it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This piece is only 14" square and that's enough for me to test the concept out. I'm having fun with it, but I won't be making full-sized quilts out of it. I might, one day, use it somehow in a landscape piece.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your project - I hadn't heard about this technique. It looks to be a good way to use those scraps and yours is certainly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a learning curve but must say it's a great way to use up small-ish scraps.

      Delete
  3. I like it, have yet to try it, because it's spontaneous. You decide as you go, very much to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly an interesting process and I'm glad I did it. Having said that, I'm glad I didn't do anything bigger than this.

      Delete
  4. Your Kawandi colors are so pretty--are you planning on adding "fuldas" to the corners?
    I had thought about making another one--but lately I don't have any impetus to begin a new project; still working on finishing up the ones that have been hanging around (literally in my spare room closet!) forever....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not adding the fuldas even though I know it's traditional. Truthfully I forgot all about them until I had the outside several rows stitched and I didn't want to take it out to add them at that point.

      Delete
  5. Interesting concept. I do like how your project turned out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this photo it's not quite done and yes, it is an intesting concept which was fun to do. I'm toying with how I can use the technique in a landscape project.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe I missed that you made a Kiwandi, Mary Anne! Love the colors you've pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all colours that I had in one drawer so I decided to keep it easy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.