MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, July 05, 2024

Body parts!!!!

 Yep - I have a pile of body parts on my sewing table.  No bones though so I guess it's all good.  Back when I was a little'n my mother made me a life-sized doll and I still have the pattern so what can a Grandma do but make it for her little grandie for Christmas?  It will measure about 32" tall when it's done.  Sadly there isn't a pattern for a dress included but I think I can come up with something that will fit.  Plan is to make matching dresses for the doll and our grandie.  Hate to say it, but the pattern is almost 70 years old.  The directions aren't great but I think I can figure it out.  The doll is quite similar to THIS one.



- HERE is a fun technique you might like to play with.

- I thought THIS was intriguing.

- And THIS as well.

Today's quote..."To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as being right doing it"







12 comments:

  1. Now you've done it! Among all my current projects you've reminded me I also like doll making! The mono typing is a great use of Styrofoam -- making it work for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't you know my middle name is 'enabler'???

      Delete
  2. I really like that Daily Intuitive Stitching link---I don't know if I would "stick with it' for an entire year--but the idea is super for a meditation scroll piece....
    I always, as a child, envied my friend who had a life-sized dolly...i think your granddaughter will just love it--and matching dresses is a great addition. Have fun making...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the intuitive stitching idea too but, like you, am doubtful I could stick to it.
      I hope our grandie will love her dolly as much as I loved mine. Methinks there might be more wardrobe items added for her as time goes on.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you have the pattern to a doll once made for you. What a gift that you can make one for your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm modernizing the pattern somewhat because I'm using plastic safety 'connections' instead of strong thread as the original calls for. It hopefully should allow the doll to be able to sit.

      Delete
  4. The link to the doll pattern provided an instant memory jolt. I remember that the library had a series of arts-and-craft books with similar illustrations. Hope your project turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I started reading your comment I thought you were going to say that you had one of the dolls too. I really don't know why the pattern has survived all these years but I'm glad it has. Remains to be seen if our grandie will like it though.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Sherry of createology: Oh I love this full size doll you are making! Your Grand Princess will love it so much. How fun to make things for a girl. I only had a girl and sewed everything for her. I still love to sew but don’t do it often enough to remember even how to use my machine…i.e. load a bobbin! Blissful Sewing Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun making her although she sure does take a ton of stuffing!

      Delete
  6. I've always said sewing for girls is so much more fun than for boys. Your project is going to be so cute. Never seen a doll pattern like that.
    Thanks for the magazine strip art site. It can easily use scrap fabrics. Of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a chance to sew much for girls, at least not in our family anyway. I have a rag doll pattern that I more or less developed that I've made for friends for their grandies but have yet to make one for our wee one. I think that will be for next year!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.