MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, July 22, 2024

If at first you don't succeed....

I've spent the better part of two afternoons knitting these...




None of which worked.  There was something wrong with every single pattern I tried or it could have been because I was trying to use sock yarn which obviously doesn't translate well into mittens for kids.  So much for me wanting to use up those pesky part-balls of sock yarn!  Then I switched to worsted weight (the grey mitten) but the thumb was waaaaaaay too small.  I am nothing if not stubborn so we'll see if the next version works out.


Yesterday my Resident Chef celebrated his birthday and today I suppose I'm forced to admit that I've done seventy trips around the sun.  Personally I'd like to forget the whole thing but it seems that the RC has decreed that I am being treated to a steak dinner tonight whether I like it or not.

- I must admit my mouth fell open when I saw THIS - can you imagine all the itty bitty pieces it would require?  It would certainly be a showpiece when it's done!

- For those of you who are quilters, perhaps THIS design might catch your eye (and the fact that it uses a ton of scraps makes it even more fun).

- There are some good tips HERE for creating the satin stitch.

- I love the work of THIS artist.

Today's quote suits both RC and I.... "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, you kids! Enjoy your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary Anne: The gloves do look lovely but not being a knitter or crocheter, I would think all yarn would work.
    Happy Birthday to Residence Chef.
    Have a lovely evening and steak for his birthday.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it doesn't appear that sock yarn translates into mittens, at least not using the patterns I've found. The ribbing at the wrists is far too small and the finger area is far too long. Hopefully the new pattern using worsted will work out much better.
      RC thanks you for the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is awfully frustrating that you can't find a good mitten pattern!! I like the Satin Stitch tips...nice linky thanks--
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. HAh - the days are never long enough to suit me!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, and Happy Birthday. Enjoy that steak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (and yes, we certainly did!)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to you both! I hope you enjoy a lovely dinner, "whether you like it or not!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely steak dinner and brought half of it home to enjoy another night. Even at that, we waddled out of the restaurant feeling like overstuffed pigs!

      Delete
  7. Now you have me rethinking the thought that I might be able to knit mittens. Happy Birthday to you and the Resident Chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely start with using worsted weight yarn and adult-sized to begin with. I'm sure there are patterns out there for sock weight but I didn't find one that seemed to work with my skills. B'sides, worsted knits up faster! (btw - there are patterns for crocheted ones too).

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have enjoyed a wonderful day together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to you and RC! And happy new decade. The knight-in-armor kit is from the company that did Michaelangelo's David. Not only is it two sided (the statue has a back, after all) but there's also a removeable fig leaf..........The cheerful houses are more my style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes! Oh my - didn't realize the knight was two-sided...that makes it even more complicated. Can you imagine having to quilt through all those seams?

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.