MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, February 02, 2024

A little update

 There has been a little progress on the latest landscape.  



This is the photo I'm using for inspiration.  I can't give
credit to the photographer because I neglected to
make note of it.  If you know, or if it's yours, 
please let me know so I can edit this.


This one is going to involve LOTS of embroidery - French Knots to be exact.  All that will be happening whilst I ponder how I'm going to attempt to create this one....

Photo credit - Dale Stewart
and used with his kind permission

This one speaks volumes to me although it's not a building or a vehicle.  Dale shared a colour version as well but my imagination is truly wanting to see if I can do it monochromatic.  The question is...does my stash have what I need.  Pondering....

*********************

A mini rant
by Magpie

It's been somewhat of a secret that I submitted my work (along with an article) for consideration for publication in the 'Our Canada' magazine and that it was accepted.  It has come as somewhat of a shock that our beloved Canadian magazines ('Reader's Digest'; 'Our Canada' and 'More of Our Canada') will cease publication in the spring.  I hate to think that my being published had anything to do with it!  It seems that many print magazines are suffering the same fate and it's very sad to see, particularly here in Canada where it's really difficult to find Canadian content in publications.  'Our Canada' has been an amazing outlet for Canadian writers and photographers and they have always produced a high quality magazine.  'Reader's Digest' (the parent company for Our Canada) has been publishing here in Canada for over 75 years and has been a mainstay of many households for much of that time.  It's sad to witness the demise.     (If you're interested, and can find a copy on the newstand, my article will be appearing in the Feb/March issue of 'Our Canada').

Rant over
********************

- I'm putting THIS here so I can keep track of it.  Wish I'd known how to do this when I was struggling with inserting elastic in the waistbands of the sleep pants.

- There are several links HERE to tutorial for printing onto various items.

- Of course you know THIS caught my eye.  

- THIS chart might be useful for some of you.

Today's quote..."Our world is not divided by race, colour, gender, or religion.  Our world is divised into wise people and fools.  And fools divide themselves by race, colour, gender or religion"



30 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your acceptance! No, I don't think you doomed the magazine, but I'm glad you got in under the wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was rather exciting to be accepted but now it's sad too because the magazine (along with others published by Reader's Digest) will be ceasing to publish. So much for Canadian content.

      Delete
  2. Lovely choice for photos to "landscape";))
    I really like that stained glass denim quilt...I've made a few stained glass pieces a while back that were gifted. They are fun to put together--like a puzzle hugs for a fun weekend--we are hoping for some sunshine!! Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made several stained glass denim quilts too. Fun to make but too hard on my hands for me to attempt them now.

      Delete
  3. What a disappointment re: the magazines. I prefer to read ink-on-paper, and S can't manage online. We get the Chicago Tribune every day and subscribe to National Geographic, Christian Science Monitor, The Atlantic, Aramco World (there's a story to that), and Smithsonian. Plus quilt magazines, our college alumni quarterlies, and the Rotarian (two copies because we are both members)......I so admire your ability to recreate a photo in fabric and thread/floss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to read on paper too . Never could get onto listening to books read to me and I find that if I do succumb and get a digital subscription to a magazine I never end up reading it. It's sad to see the demise of so many really good magazines that, at least in this case, have such good Canadian content.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations getting your article published!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's rather bittersweet though to know that it will be in the second last issue.

      Delete
  5. Oh I loved Our Canada. Dad got me a subscription and I always thought I would renew it, but me being me, never did.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too Jackie - and will definitely mourn its loss.

      Delete
  6. Perfect quote!
    Lovely photo, it has a rustic charm. The wheel looks like a heavy duty wagon. It will be interesting to know if anyone can identify it. Great links, the denim quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheels aren't normally in my wheelhouse (hah) but there's soemthing about this image that appeals.

      Delete
  7. Congratulation on being published, if other magazines see your article maybe they will also publish something for you.
    With the internet net its what people are reading magazines on, it sad to see this, I prefer to have a book or magazine in my hands.
    Love the progress on the latest design, I am also looking forward to seeing the wheel design stitched, amazing.
    Thank-you for some interesting links.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it was exciting to know my submission was chosen but it's certainly tempered with a lot of sadness over the fact that the magazine is ceasing publication.
      I'm looking forward to the wheel design too, hopefully I can do it justice.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the Canadian publications, but glad you'll be in print while there's still time! And that dungaree quilt with the black binding strips really caught my eye - nice effect. Bet it's kind of heavy to work with all that denim though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad to have been chosen for the magazine but sad too.
      I've made denim quilts/throws similar to that one and yes they are heavy but if you choose lighter weight denims it's easier to work with. I also didn't put any batting in the ones I made and only backed them withe flannelette.

      Delete
  9. Your landscape is looking beautiful - good luck with the French knots! I love the new picture, it really has character doesn't it? Looking forward to seeing how you bring it to life with needle and thread... also congratulations on getting accepted into a magazine and so sorry to hear it is closing down.. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy - French knots are rather mindnumbing to do but it looks better with them.

      Delete
  10. That black and white photo would look amazing interpreted on fabric by you. Congratulations on having your article published in the magazine. There's nothing like holding a magazine or book in your hand while reading it. The computer screen just doesn't have the same appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can do that photo justice - still mulling it around in my brain to figure out the best way to approach it.
      And yes, I agree that there's nothing like holding magazines and books in your hands. I don't appreciate them on the computer at all.

      Delete
  11. I love magazines more so than books. I will look out for your article . Congratulations, I now know two authors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually was on staff of the 'Crazy Quilt Quarterly' magazine for about five years and wrote articles for pretty much every issue. It was more or less a niche market whereas 'Our Canada' is Canada-wide (as well as some subscribers from other countries as well).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on being published again! Wish I could read it. I'll check my library's app and maybe find it on line?
    Thanks for "bookmarking" the waistband technique. I hope it's successful for you.
    I'm interested in the fabric printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. If you look for it at your library maybe wait a couple weeks because I don't think it will be available until then.

      Delete
  14. What lovely wonderful news!! It is so deserving...your work is amazing and should be shared with the country and world too! Well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I was excited but that's tempered with sadness knowing the magazine (along with many others) is ceasing publication.

      Delete
  15. Oh my, that will be a challenging one for you!
    Congratulations, but so sorry to hear it won't be printed anymore. Will they do on online version instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I suspect it will be a challenge but I won't know if I can do it until I try.
      And no - there will be no online version of the magazine(s) as far as I'm aware. It's sad to see something that good come to an end.

      Delete
  16. If I'm seeing it right, I love the frayed edge as the top of those "plant/grass" areas. And the texture in the roof along with the birds that you've added in the distance. I do love seeing you bring these photos to life adding your little extra touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's nothing wrong with your eyesight! I often do frayed edges in grass areas on my landscapes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.