MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, February 23, 2024

19 +1

 Stash reduction is a thing.  Isn't it?  Well, my knitting needles and I have been beavering away making hats using double strands of yarn.  You'd think that should reduce the stash - well, I hate to say it but it sure looks like you (and I!) are wrong.  

At any rate, there's 19 hats (plus one on the needles)
ready for donation to needy people...


My stash looks the same.

How could that be??!!!


- Those of you who knit might find THIS of interest.

- You can see pictures of the award winning quilts from the American Quilter's Society HERE.

- I like THIS idea for some outdoor fun.

- You might want to make one of THESE to have ready for the growing season.

While I've been housecleaning my blog I came across a few things that I think bear repeating and this poem is one of them...

Instead of your quote today, I thought I'd share this beautiful poem written by Joseph J. Mazzella...

WHAT HAPPENED TODAY

The television news was droning on and on this evening.
It was full of every bad thing that happened in the world today.
Finally I had to turn the set off.
It wasn't that I couldn't handle the bad news.
It was just that I knew all that was being left out.
I knew what else happened today.

Today a mother held her newborn baby in her arms for the first time and felt her heart open with a love she never knew she had.
Today mothers and fathers both played with their children, hugged them tight, and kissed them goodnight when they tucked them into bed.
Today animals were petted, fed, and cared for by loving owners.
Today a child learned how to be kind when he saw his Mom hold a door open for an elderly lady.
Today wise words were spoken and minds were opened in a million school classrooms across the world.
Today clothes, food and money were collected to be shared with the poor and hungry.  
Today the sick were cared for, the disabled were helped, and the crying were comforted by so many caring souls.
Today smiles were shared and kind acts performed with no thought of reward.
Today songs were sung, sweet words were said, and laughter was heard.
Today adult children gathered around their Mom's deathbed to hold her hand, tell her they love her, and kiss her for one last time.
Today someone finally realized just how much God loves them.
Today a million prayers went up to Heaven on the wings of faith and a million 'Thank You's' were said to God with hearts full of love.
Today this world was made better by the good we did, the kindness we shared, and the love we gave to others. 
Today all the angels of Heaven joyfully smiled as they watched us strive to love each other, to help each other, and to live as God's children here on earth. 
That is what happened today.
That is what happens every day of our lives here.
Don't let the bad news bring you down.
Its hate and darkness can never stand against our love and light.




22 comments:

  1. WOW what a "hat-a-thon" journey you've been on!! ;)))They are all so pretty--and I do know what you mean about the stash not dwindling...fabric or yarn--it seems to grow overnight!! Hope your weekend is a good one...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My yarn drawers seem to be just as full as they were before I started. Feels rather discouraging actually!

      Delete
  2. Joys Jots11:08 AM

    It is amazing how a scrap pile grows as you use it. My scrap pile is usually taller and ends up with yet another zip lock bag to fill after I've made a pile of cards. I think of Christ feeding the crowd fish and bread and still having leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing to think about! Thank you for that.

      Delete
  3. Your stash looks the same because your heart is always full of creating things for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't sit and do nothing so rather than inundate my family and friends with hats I thought it was time to donate a bunch.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful poem and wise sentiment! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly how it is...
    a hug from me.
    Your hats are great.
    Some time ago I knitted a sweater from leftover wool and I really enjoy wearing it.
    Greetings from me very kindly. My name is Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viola! Thank you for the lovely comment. I really need to use up yet more leftover yarn but I think I'm done with hats for the time being.

      Delete
  6. Lovely poem. Thanks for sharing. Understand perfectly about the stash never seeming to go down. No matter what I knit (or sew) I always seem to have the same amount left.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my stash is multiplying as we speak - either that or somebody is sneaking in and moving their stash to mine!

      Delete
  7. great job on all the hats. I need to do something with my huge stash of fabric............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working on my fabric for a long time but I used such small pieces at any given time so I know it's going to take me years.

      Delete
  8. What a great stack of hats! Your stash is smaller, it's just fluffed up with more air available.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've done an amazing job on the hats! I am sure you've reduced your stash a tiny bit......:) Love the poem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wish I had thought to do the hats earlier in the year when it was colder but I'm sure the organizations I'm giving them to will hold onto them until they're needed.

      Delete
  10. It may not have made a dent in your stash but they will make a difference to someone. Love the writing also and shared on my FB page. TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hopeful they will help keep someone warm. Wish I had thought to do them in the fall and not wait until it's almost spring.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous1:40 PM

    your work is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.