MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, November 27, 2023

Yay!!

 The last Christmas present is finished!!  The butter tarts are baked (and, for once, RC listened to me and only made a small batch).  Heaven help him if there are no butter tarts.  I even completed most of the wrapping over the weekend AND the Christmas cards are addressed and ready to mail.  Now I can exhale and play with my new sewing machine to see how it performs doing landscapes.

One of the final gifts to be completed is this...


Pattern is THIS one and I added a bit more length to the dress.  Paton's Canadiana yarn from my stash.

*****
Complete change of topic but I wanted to share something I wrote in an email in response to a comment Jocelyn made...."..enjoyment is totally in the making..."  That resonates with me because that's exactly how I feel.  My friends are often astounded that I will spend hours and hours on a project, only to happily give it away without a second thought.  Of course, having said that, I'm a complete lesson in contradictions because I truly do want to sell my landscapes rather than give them away (although I have given some).  For me, it comes down to the distinction between 'craft' (thus giveable) and 'art' (saleable).  I don't suppose that makes a whole lot of sense does it!!  

Please share in the comments how you feel about this because I would be interested in knowing your thoughts.
******

- If you like fudge, or plan to make some for gifting, perhaps THIS round up of recipies might intrique you (scroll down to see all the different varieties).  And, if you have a hankering for some truffles, perhaps one of THESE might be just what you'd like.

- THIS would be a fun little project!

- THESE would make a lovely little gift.

- So would THESE!

- I know THIS is a paid pattern but I thought it was worth sharing anyway.

Today's quote..."We live on a blue planet that circles around a ball of fire next to a moon that moves the sea, and you don't believe in miracles?




22 comments:

  1. Is the doll crocheted? About process and so on, my urge is to make, not keep, not sell, not have much concern after an artwork is finished. I have sold a lot of art, but that's not why I make art. I'll give just as happily, to make room for more making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's crocheted. Making room for more making - my sentiments exactly! When it comes to my landscapes though, I would like to sell them, primarily so I can contribute to our overall income somewhat. Living on a fixed income means (as you know) that being able to augment stash generally requires money and I hate to dip into our monthly income for that purpose. I try to only spend what I myself make.

      Delete
  2. Sweet little doll.
    I also giver away so much of my stitching, I really enjoy it.
    Have you ever thought of someone sending you a photo and doing a home or barn frtom their photo and then getting paid? just a thought.
    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our grandie likes the dollie!
      As for doing commissions, I'm happy to, and have done several already.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Cute doll
    Wow! The quote today is fantastic.
    The Long Live scraps afghan is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun making her for sure.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet little doll, she's going to be well received I am sure! I think I am in agreement with you about the 'craft' items and the 'art' items. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to give away my creations. I don't feel they are as good as yours for them to sell.
    What a feeling it must be to be finished with gifts a month early. Have fun on your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrestle with giving away vs. selling what I make but some of it comes down to the bottom line - needing to make a little extra money so I can keep myself in supplies to create with.
      As for being finished with gifts - I try to do that every year so I have the month of December free to 'be social' if something comes up with my friends or family. If nothing comes up then it just means I can spend more time playing in my studio.

      Delete
  6. As someone without an artistic bone in my body, I am more than happy to pay for the artwork of others - and I always try to buy it directly from them! People spend so much money on mass produced garbage 'decor' from big box stores - rather than do that, I like to buy photographs/paintings from local artists. I think often people who don't do it for a living undersell themselves and their art, but it's a joy to buy something made by human hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that. It's hard to price work in order to make a living wage and, when it comes to the type of work I do, it's impossible. Many of us count ourselves lucky if we can make a dollar an hour and nobody else would be willing to work for so little.

      Delete
  7. Kudos to you for making a doll! I can't bring myself to make amigurumi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that I can finally indulge myself and make a doll here and there. Having a little girl in the family after all the years of having boys is pure fun.

      Delete
  8. I only give my handicrafts to those I know will appreciate them. I don't do art, but I can see that when one spends hours fashioning something as beautiful as your landscapes selling them would be the proper way to go.

    Got to check out the fudge recipes. That is one thing Harvey enjoys making.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's no point giving things to people who don't appreciate them or the time that it takes to create them.
      Hopefully Harvey will want to make some fudge - it's a memory I have of Christmas when I was a child.

      Delete
  9. I am thinking about making Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge...yum, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Methinks I would like that one too! Pretty much the only alcoholic beverage I like is Bailey's and I generally have a little bit when I'm decorating the Christmas tree.

      Delete
  10. I think "craft" is totally sellable (and valuable), but I don't take joy in making things on commission - only in selling after the fact. And I never charge enough to justify the time spent. I make for the sake of making. Cute dolly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with the 'make for the sake of making' - that's where my joy in creating comes in. Sadly, being on a fixed income means that I need to raise a little funds to be able to purchase supplies to continue to create, so I'm always happy when someone wants to purchase my work. Having said that, I know I don't make nearly enough when I do sell something.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous4:00 PM

    I agree with your thoughts on give away gifts and art pieces to sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes down to the fine line between what is handmade and Hand Made. To someone who doesn't create, that distinction is difficult to grasp.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.