MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, June 12, 2023

Embiggening things

 I know it might be hard to tell from this photo but I've embiggened the canoe so it has a bit more 'presence' and I'm happier with it.  Resident Chef has pronounced it better too.  The eagle-eyed among you might also notice that the 'grass' beneath the pine tree has changed as well.  Upon ponderment I came to the conclusion that grass doesn't grow beneath pine trees because the fallen needles tend to smother it.  Next I will be working on the shoreline beneath the birch trees.


We had an exciting weekend and, after a year and a half of not being able to get together for one reason or another, we got to celebrate our oldest grandie's 9th birthday and also exchange our Christmas gifts.  The birthday party was held at the waterfront in their city and it coincided with the airshow so there were a lot of people around.  On the way home Resident Chef spied two juvenile moose close to the road (I missed them because I was keeping an eye on the truck that was parked on the side of the road, obviously watching the moose).  On the way up in the morning I lucked out and saw my very first bluebird.    It's a conservation area that is known for them so I was happy to finally catch a glimpse.

- HERE are some fun ideas to use up fabric scraps.

- THIS would maybe make a good gift for the Dad in your life.  

- HERE's another good use for scraps.

- THIS artist works with paper to create some pretty amazing things.




18 comments:

  1. Christmas in June! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and got to see family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing them was the important thing - birthday and Christmas was secondary. Surprisingly, our grandson coped quite well with all the excitement. Resident Chef and I lost track of how many hugs we got.

      Delete
  2. Love that cute quote--i used to have a really flat stomach before I let my ironing pile up on it!! Hahaha..
    I just love how this art piece is coming together--such beautiful details--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my ironing pile is definitely a problem!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to the 9th!

    I don't want to complicate things. But, Lady Slippers grow near pine trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - interesting to know that lady slippers grow there. I'll have to remember that. (and thanks for the b'day wishes for our grandie)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:25 PM

    Sherry of createology: You really did know best about the size of the canoe. Also about the pine needles under the pine tree. The Artist that creates the paper pieces is truly amazing. I am so happy that you finally got to spend time with your family. May you have a wonderful week dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree about the size of the canoe - makes me feel better about re-doing it.

      Delete
  5. So glad you had such an eventful weekend and got to see your family. That had to have been so heartwarming. And the moose and bluebird could only add to the fun. The canoe looks great. And that was a good call with the grass also. I'd like to get rid of some of my laundry - wish it were as easy as ironing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing family was a big thing after so long so we enjoyed every moment. I'm with you in the ironing!

      Delete
  6. I love the enlarged canoe, and getting together with family is awesome. I have a pile of ironing, love that way of looking at my tummy bulge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that getting together with family is wonderful - we haven't seen them in a year and a half so this visit was extra-welcome.

      Delete
  7. I am seriously amazed at each new landscape you come up with! How lovely that you had a family get-together after so long.. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to being a bit amazed myself - it always surprises me when what I'm making turns out looking better than I ever expected.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, the bigger boat gives more focus, but yet doesn't take away from the rest of the scene. We have pine trees in yards around here and they do seem to kill the grass with their needles and have a carpet of brown needles. I've often wondered if its some kind of chemical put out by the needles?
    A couple of ideas about the cord wrapper from the site you shared. They don't have to just be for cords. I've made them to put on suitcase handles for quick ID. When Greg and I traveled with all my green suitcases, I could tell him to only carry in the bag with the "Pink" wrapper. I've also recently been thinking I need to make one for my refrigerator handle which is the part I'm always having to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the boat - it needed to have more 'presence'.
      Good idea for suitcase handles!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness. That graphic is painful true to me right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.