MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Navel contemplation

 Yes, I'm contemplating my navel.  Quite stimulating it is, too.  I think navel contemplation sounds like a much more interesting  activity than simply spinning my wheels, don't you?  And just to prove that my mind works in mysterious ways (you HAVE figured that one out, right?) and that navel contemplation is really a 'thing'..."omphaloskepsis, noun, (om-fuh-loh-skep-sis), - contemplation of one's navel as part of a mystical exercise"

So there, navel contemplation!


UPDATED TO ADD: It's been pointed out to me that I evidently
don't know how to spell!  There's a difference between
naval and navel...oops.  Post has been fixed (and thank
you Val!!!)

And just what might I be contemplating you ask?  Well, I have a commission to create a landscape featuring white pines, birch trees, water and a canoe.  It's rather outside my norm so it's taking some thought and a whole lot of time on the internet searching possible images that I can cobble together into a cohesive composition.  More or less.  It's times like this that I wish I had drawing ability.

- Have a peek through the portfolios of THIS artist!  

- And THIS one too.

- THIS is something that would be fun for both adults and kids to do

- Some interesting uses for the much-maligned dandelion can be found HERE.  




21 comments:

  1. Naval contemplating? I thought you were watching ships come in. Or maybe canoes, come to think of it, would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When ships come in they generally are supposed to be bearing money and that certainly would be nice!

      Delete
    2. ...and I, being particularly dense, didn't tumble to your nicely telling me I can't spell!

      Delete
  2. Yes, having a photo with all the ingredients would have been very helpful.
    Enjoy the Dandelion readings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to find a photo that combines all the elements into one is proving very elusive and then there's copyright laws to contend with as well.

      Delete
  3. It sounds as if a fair bit of omphaloskepsis-ing will be needed for this new landscape. How exciting to imagine a new one for an order. I know you will dream up something fabulous. You always do, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine what I want it to look like but translating that into fact is a whole 'nother thing. It's times like this that I wish I knew how to draw!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I think I just might have to contemplate my naval a bit more often if it leads me to getting projects started or finished.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it to be a useful exercise, so perhaps you might as well!

      Delete
  5. Check out Canadian artists, Group of Seven. Many of my favorite landscapes, similar to what you describe are their paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the Group of Seven are definite inspirations, particularly those of AJ Casson.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I can see my navel to contemplate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I immediately thought of your countryman, Tom Thomson - I admire so many of his landscape paintings featuring pines, lakes, birches and canoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tom Thomson and AJ Casson are influences on what I'm hoping to create.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with finding what you need to start work on your commission piece Mary Anne and have a lovely weekend! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the general design figured out (I think!) so now it's on to pulling appropriate fabrics to play with. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too - it's a long holiday w'end here.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.