MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

A little progress

 I've been working at quilting the four seasons projects and trying to tamp down my natural inclination to gussy them up with lots of embroidery and details.  I know there won't be time in a one-day workshop format for even finishing them to the stage I'm showing you here much less adding any further details.  I think I will add a fence in the foreground which should be something they can accomplish on their own.  



- Sit and watch the slide show of works by THIS artist.

- Or how about the incredible creations of THIS artist (and take note of what he uses in his art!)

- THIS is one of those things that elicits an 'awwww'

- At first I thought the art done by THIS artist was fabric, but it's paper! (click on 'Artwork' in her sidebar to be taken to her galleries)

The quote of the day..."When it comes down to it, the only knowledge that really matters is how to purify water, how to grow your own food, how to cook, how to build, and how to love.  And funnily enough, we're not taught any of it in school"



12 comments:

  1. The quotation about learning: a lot of that is to learn at home! Not a fan of blaming schools for every shortcoming. And what you didn't get at home you can teach yourself later in life. It's important learning, yes. Anyway that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately that sort of learning isn't happening at home either, or at least so it seems. There used to be home ec classes in school that taught (supposedly) how to sew and how to cook but those no longer exist, just like the auto mechanics and electrician classes have been dropped in favour of so-called 'progress'. A class that taught kids how to budget money, a little bit of basic automobile maintenance, plumbing repairs and the like would be invaluable.

      Delete
  2. A fence will be nice. I think it makes quilting feel less intimidating for a beginner. Familiar element comfort. Your presentation is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these scenes need something in the foreground so I'll be adding a simplified fence I think.

      Delete
  3. They are looking great. You are right not to add too much detail there just won't be enough time but these will provide a great base for them to add more themselves. Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main focus will be piecing the scene and then working on the barn itself. I think they should be able to finish the rest on their own. I hope anyway!

      Delete
  4. I think that working on the piecing and getting the rudiments will be enough to allow them to work on their own at home. A fence would be lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be enough for them to accomplish in a one-day format of a workshop. I'm trying to do each one a little differently so they can see some possibilities.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Sherry of createology: Your “Sample” Landscapes are amazing and will be wonderful examples for your students. There are so many artists that do such interesting pieces. I love the organic flora and fauna used in the collages. I do not understand why schools don’t teach life skills. Blessings Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my samples will spark ideas for the workshop attendees - we'll see!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure it must be hard to hold back on doing your entire thing and keeping it at the beginner range. You've become so advanced and accomplished in all those details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's difficult! I always want to embellish everything due to my background in crazy quilting for so many years.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.