MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, August 19, 2022

A recipe for you to try

 Resident Chef made these yummy refrigerator pickles and we've very patiently waited the alloted time to give them a taste test and they certainly passed with flying colours.  Thought you might like to give them a try too...


REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

1 c. vinegar (white or apple cider)
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 T. of EITHER fresh garlic, sliced chilies, peppercorns, pickling spice, mustard seeds, bay leaves, coriander seeds – or mixture of your choice.
1 heaping tsp. kosher salt
2 lbs. veggies:  cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, pearl onions, sliced red or sweet onions, or carrots

Peel & slice veg’s into ¼” slices & pack into clean jars, leaving about 1” headspace.
Heat water, sugar, spices & salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally until dissolved.  LET COOL COMPLETELY.  Pour cooled brine over veg’s making sure they’re completely covered.  Cover & refrigerate 3 days before serving. Keep refrigerated (unless, of course, you're eating them!).  Makes 2 quart jars.

p.s. if you scroll down to my post of Aug. 12th you'll see a picture of the jars he made.

My crochet hooks have been busy and the latest thing off the hook is this hat...



Pattern is from HERE and I used Paton's Canadiana.  I love that the pattern covers sizing from a baby up to adult (this one is the adult size).The pattern takes a little less than one ball so quite a cheap project to add to the Christmas box.

- If you like hats, have a peek at the other designs HERE from the same designer. And while you're there, be sure to have a look through all her other free designs.  This woman has talent!

- Some of you might like to try making one of THESE.  And further on that theme, THIS has possibilities for several different uses.

- There are links HERE to several really pretty snowflake designs (not that I, in any way!, want to even THINK about such things)

- For those of you who are interested in weaving - have a look at THIS.  

Today's quote..."We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

20 comments:

  1. That string bag is great. As you know though, for me it would be "first make your string!" I was just thinking this morning I need a string bag to put in my purse for sudden needs, now that plastic shoppers are banned in our state. It's a good thing but I sometimes forget to bring one of my shoppers with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about forgetting to bring bags into the stores. I was just getting my brain trained and then covid hit and they didn't want you bringing bags so it was back to plastic and now I have to retrain my brain again.

      Delete
    2. Exactly the same...plastic bags briefly outlawed here (huzzah!) and I was finally remembering to actually bring my canvas bags into the grocery store. Then covid appeared and everything flipped back.

      Delete
    3. Exactly! Even now it's somewhat frowned upon to bring your own bags and certainly the check out people aren't happy touching them and most often you have to pack your own. I don't mind that though.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I could use my little potholder loom, pegging instead of weaving. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I posted that link - thought it would get your creative juices going

      Delete
  3. Yum! I think I'll do a batch this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! This morning he did up some sliced onions so I'm looking forward to those on a burger.

      Delete
  4. Love the hat! Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun hat to make, so much so that I've made a second one. And you're welcome for the recipe - hope you try it!

      Delete
  5. Another beautiful crochet project Mary Anne, I love the colour of the yarn! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that colour too and hopefully our daughter-in-love will feel the same.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful hat, Mary Anne! And thank you for a new recipe to consider. I just processed two more jars of Bread and Butter pickles tonight. The cucumbers just keep producing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickles are SO good! I used to love making them but we don't have a cold cellar here so they don't keep because it's simply too warm. Refigerator pickles make a couple jars and that's just about perfect for our needs.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Cute little button on top really sets the hat off. Joy's Jots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it didn't look finished without the button - and heaven knows I have enough buttons to choose from!

      Delete
  8. You have been busy! It's nearly time to get our wooly hats back out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get bored because there's so many items on my wanna-do list! I'm not happy about the need for hats but at least they're fairly quick to make.

      Delete
  9. Like the hat and the color. Thanks for the links. And I've always loved that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wore hats I'd like one in this colour so hopefully our daughter-in-love feels the same.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.