OK...who would have dreamt? This is my first (but not my last!!) attempt at rust dyeing.
I've been reading about it on different sites on the 'net and decided that I ought to give it a try and now I'm hooked. Of course the men in my family think I'm more than ready for the one-way ticket to the insane asylum. They simply couldn't figure out why I wanted 'rusty stuff' from the workshop. "What - you want THAT nail? - it's RUSTY - here, this one is much better" were just some of the comments I got while I dug about in what they consider to be their domain looking for treasures.
I made a mixture of vinegar and some salt (added a bit of water, but didn't need to), wetted down a piece of waste fabric (this piece is cotton) and wrapped the rusty bits into it. I put the whole mess into a plastic dishpan and set it in the sunroom to cook. Keep it moist for a day. This morning I unwrapped my experiment and this is what I got!! This is exciting and, better yet, cheap to do. I rinsed it well and hung it out to dry. DH promptly informed me that the neighbours would be thinking I was hanging out something covered in poop (argh...no appreciation for ART). I was so excited that I immediately put another piece of fabric on to cook. Can't wait.