MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

More on Needlework Festival

First, I must correct what I called the 'Needlework Festival'...what was once called the 'Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival' is now known as the 'CreativFestival'. Wonder why they felt they had to change the name?

The past couple of years I have to admit the show hasn't been as exciting. There are far too many booths selling such things as orthodics, cleaning cloths, aromatherapy products, and the like. What on earth is creative about any of those? It's beyond me. I suppose the reason a lot of the more creative businesses don't take part, is because it is becoming cost-prohibitive to have a booth there.

However, on the good side, there was a most interesting display of embellished celebrity jeans which are being auctioned off to raise funds for the Sick Kids Foundation. Anyone interested can go to sickkidsauctions.com to see the jeans and bid if they desire. Of course I have a vested interest in the jeans, since denim has to be my favourite thing to work with.

The Canadian Doll Artists Association had a wonderful display of dolls (another of my passions). There is such a diversity in the mediums these artists work in. Kym and I both belong to the group. More information can be found at: www.dollartists.ca They have a great gallery of dolls there (well worth having a look).

There was an ATC competition, which I was very disappointed in. There were very few entries, which is a shame when you consider the prize was a Janome sewing machine worth about $1000. Now I wish I had entered! The cards on display were wonderful though, despite the lack of numbers.

A number of the booths had beautiful wools on display and, had I been a little more flush with money, I would have come home with a kit to make a gorgeous shawl, made from mohair and hand-dyed ribbon. Aaahhh....it felt soooo nice!!

As I said before...I need to win a lottery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.