MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, January 15, 2024

Two new projects

 In my ongoing quest to get rid of stash I finally got around to dumping ALL my landscape fabrics out of the bins and sorting them into loose categories to hopefully make them easier to find. 


In doing so, I came across this piece that had been lurking in there probably since before dirt and truthfully it was in my hand, poised over the garbage can, when I thought wait a minute...maybe I could use it as a background for a landscape.  Maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I haven't saved it for all this time unless something was telling me it would come in handy one day.  

And....I've been bothered by all the part-balls of yarn I have also lurking in my stash.  What to do with them is an ongoing problem and they just keep multiplying.  So several hours out of my life I won't be able to get back were spent surfing Ravelry until I stumbled across THIS idea.  Hmmm - now THAT might just work to use a lot of it up and this is the beginning....


So far 5 part balls of yarn are outta here.  However, now the question is, because this is worked using 3 or 4 strands of yarn held together, will the blanket be too heavy to even use.  Time will tell.  Either way, I'll get rid of excess yarn and if it ends up too heavy for our use I will simply donate it.

*************

For those who are in the deep freeze and/or 
dealing with snow - be safe!

***************

- I've seen mile-a-minute crochet patterns (and done several), but THIS is the first time I've seen it done in quilting.  

- Further on the 'temperature' items I've seen, HERE is an interesting quilt pattern.  This one is certainly doable considering you only make one block each week.

- THIS is an awwww worthy thing!

- I think THIS would be a fun project if you want to hone your embroidery skills.

- There's another fun quilt-a-long happening HERE 

Here's your quote for today..."Sometimes you have to eat your words, chew your ego, swallow your pride and accept your mistakes.  It's not giving up, it's called growing up"


21 comments:

  1. Oooh what a great piece of fabric--if you ever did a "rainy" one it would be perfect...
    I do that "Mile a Minute" sewing a lot--only I call it Crumb quilting...and often don't use any color-coordinated fabrics, just bit s and bobs...it is fun!!
    I am so enjoying my Granny Stripe crocheting using leftover yarns--good luck with your project ;))) Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that piece of fabric was a little wider but I think I can make it work...we'll see.

      Delete
  2. You might also consider fingerless gloves using strands held together? I've made a number of pairs, very cozy and well received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a lot of fingerless gloves over the years along with regular mittens but in this case there isn't really enough of anything to make much. Cobbling it together this way eats up a lot of yarn at a pretty rapid pace so I can use up a lot of otherwise pretty useless stash.

      Delete
  3. That will make a pretty blanket and I can't imagine that there's such a thing as a "too heavy" blanket in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually our apartment is quite warm so a really heavy blanket is probably a bit much. I'm toying with tearing this out and starting over with only two strands of yarn. For one thing it would be easier on my hands to knit. Pondering....

      Delete
  4. The embroidery link is a really good idea. The sediement throw is gorgeous.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the throw but I think using three strands of yarn is going to prove to be too hard on my hands AND far too warm for actual use (would make a wonderful floor rug though, provided it had something non-slip added to the underside).

      Delete
  5. Great piece of fabric that would be perfect for a storm over the prairies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:17 PM

    Sherry of createology: Blogger is not publishing my comments. Your we little Granddaughter will love her new dolly and the dress you have for her 2nd birthday. I read your posts every day or two and keep current. Caution in the snow dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange - I seem to be getting your comments, unless I'm missing some? It sometimes takes me awhile to get to approving comments so perhaps that's the problem?

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:15 PM

    Query -- since you seem to find such wonderful sites and ideas, have you come across a pattern for sewing a rabbit that looks like peeps (that marshmallow Easter candy)? Thank you for the time you take to keep us busy. As far as using up yarn. I knit blankets for Project Linus. Have a favorite that is just knitting and grows like the one you are working on. Once it reaches the desired 1/2 size, I start decreasing until I can cast off. Feel so accomplished when hanks of yarn disappear and it goes to a worthwhile group. Stay warm. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny peeps - that sent me on a search and I came across one here...https://www.thecraftydecorator.com/diy-fabric-bunny-peeps/
      or this one... https://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiemugginsdesigns/5644797016/ No directions, but should be easy to do.
      and there's this that's just the outline but could be made as big as you like.... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/93/f9/9d93f942507e5ed9865bcd8cbcb1dfff.jpg
      Don't know if any of those will be helpful but I hope so.
      I must see if Project Linus has a presence here and perhaps it might be something I could consider.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:34 AM

      The crafty decorator site is a treasure trove of Easter ideas. Thanks so much for leading me there. Snow on the ground this morning to make my outlook on the world beautiful. Pamela

      Delete
    3. Glad I was able to help! Stay warm and safe.

      Delete
  8. I applaud your stash-busting energy! I'm taking that sort of approach to back-of-the-shelf food right now, and after three weeks of breakfasts I have just joyously emptied the second long-opened package of oatmeal. Very satisfying! Fortunately, because now I crave oatmeal every morning, a third bag of oatmeal, unopened, is waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have oatmeal most mornings. RC makes a big batch of it and puts some in the freezer for later consumption. He adds coconut, dried cranberries (sometimes raisins) to ours. He just scoops out enough for our breakfast and heats it in the microwave with a little bit of milk (or in my case, almond milk).

      Delete
  9. That's a perfect background fabric! You just need a big storm photo to replicate.
    Is there such a thing as a blanket too heavy when it's cold?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our apartment is quite warm even with the heat barely on so a heavy blanket would never get used, sadly.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:32 PM

    As I'm reading backwards to catch up on your blogs, I'm so glad your light bulb lit up as you stood over the garbage can. You put it to great use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes if you keep something long enough you'll end up finding a use for it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.