MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, January 29, 2024

Ongoing quest

 Like many of you, I'm on a mission to use as much of my stash as I possibly can so as not to leave it to our kids to deal with.  No, I'm not planning on keeling over anytime soon, but then again, I have enough stash to far outlast my abilities to use it up.  So, to that end, I'm using the pattern I pointed you to a few days ago and holding worsted weight doubled to make hats for donation.  Number one off the needles turned out a tad too large which was my own fault because I thought I'd be a rebel and increase the size of the needles because surely the pattern designer didn't know what she was talking about.  Well, wonder of wonders, she did.  Oh well, hat might fit someone with a bigger head.



And, of course you know I've started on another landscape!  Details will follow.

- If you're like me and hate tying in yarn ends, perhaps give THIS a try (I know I'm going to!)

- There are lots of free printables HERE to help with all sorts of organization.  And you might want to check THESE out too.

- Of course you know I would love the work of THIS artist!

- There's a very interesting article HERE about how to get accurate 1/4" (or a scant 1/4") seam allowances when you're sewing.




18 comments:

  1. That's a real maker's scavenger hunt, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was rather fun, although I must admit I 'played' without leaving my chair. Does that defeat the purpose I wonder?

      Delete
  2. The hat came out beautifully--i am still crocheting away on my Granny stripe afghan project...
    The scant 1/4" article was very enlightening--thanks for the linky...
    I decided to hang up those two big quilts for a bit--I really still don't care for them much...;(((
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat is a bit large so I'm using smaller needles for the one I'm doing now. Should have listened to the pattern designer in the first place!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure someone will love that beautiful hat. And I love that gorgeous sashiko work you linked - thank you. I've learned to have my little "brain tablet" nearby when I read your posts so I can add some of the quotes, like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure it will fit someone. Glad you enjoy some of the quote - they're a weakness for me.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Sherry of createology: Hello MA. Your donation of knitted hats will be very appreciated by cold heads. Your informative links are very smart. I really like this Gratitude Scavenger Hunt. I am so Grateful for every day I have to enjoy here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just have to find where to donate them where it will do the most good. I'll have to ask around.

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful hat that will make somebody happy.
    Wow to the Hanten jacket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy to use up some part-balls of yarn so I can move 'em on out of my stash.

      Delete
  6. we all have big heads in our family!! So always on the hunt for xl hats. Love that yarn joining tutorial, makes perfect sense and very easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the yarn join yesterday and it seems to work well.

      Delete
  7. I always think there's a head for every hat :) Congrats on completing your latest landscape - I missed a stage or two while I had no phone/internet, but am catching up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect there's a head somewhere that will fit the first hat and now that I'm paying attention and doing what the pattern designer says the rest should fit with no problems.

      Delete
  8. I used to really worry about the size of hats I made but I figured that they will fit someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, luckily heads come in all sizes!

      Delete
  9. That's a lovely hat, such a beautiful colour. It would fit my husband's head for sure!🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been churning hats out at a rapid pace but my stash isn't dwindling.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.