MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Soup - for you?

 It's been awhile since I shared a recipe so thought you might like to give this one a try....


Resident Chef's Cabbage Soup
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
4 carrots, sliced
4 ribs celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 lb. frozen (or fresh) green beans
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/2 T. smoked paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 c. chopped cabbage
6 c. vegetable broth
1 tsp. salt
1 T. lemon juice
     Saute onion & garlic in oil.  Add carrots, celery & pepper & saute.  Add tomatoes, beans, spices & cabbage & broth and bring to boil.  Simmer on med-low abt. 40 mins.  Season with salt and lemon juice to taste.
########
Remember me telling you about attempting to make the blanket using all my leftover bits of yarn?  I tried knitting it with 3 strands and it was too hot...I frogged it and started over with 2 strands and it's still going to be too over-the-top and I'm sure it's going to hurt my hands if I carry on.  So...frogged again.  Just happened to have THIS pop up in one of my mailings and I think...maybe, just maybe...I might just have had a Goldilocks-moment.
########


- If you're thinking about making something for Valentine's Day, perhaps THIS design might catch your fancy.

- Or maybe, if you're really ambitious (!), you might like to give THIS one a try.

- If I had a real barn or even a shed, I would want to try making one of THESE.

- The crocheters among you might be interested in THIS crochet-a-long (scroll down to see the designs that will be available over the coming year).




22 comments:

  1. the soup sounds good, and it is soup weather that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that, since so many are in a deep freeze at the moment, a soup recipe might be welcome

      Delete
  2. Love that stash-bashing hat idea--sounds like a great way to use up those leftovers;)))
    Thanks for the soup recipe--sounds yummy...hugs, Julierose (P.S. snowing yet again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the hat idea and see if that will help with my stash yarn 'bits' - no doubt there's somewhere I can donate them once I'm done.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a great vegetable soup of which cabbage is just one veg! Noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS good!! One of our favourites for sure.

      Delete
  4. That soups sounds awesome. Copying and printing. Thank you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I like that it's meatless and fairly cheap to make.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Sherry of createology: A nice warm soup sounds perfect for this cold Winter weather. Thank you for sharing Resident Chef’s very doable recipe. I feel like you must be speaking Frog by now…RIbbit RIBBIT…after all that frogging you have done. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is always good, at least in our world anyway. Yes, much frogging has been happening but I'm hopeful the hat idea will pan out and work.

      Delete
  6. Neat recipe! Those made with yarn bits hats are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try making a hat over the weekend to see if it works out with my yarn. I need to downsize it somehow and hats are a win/win.

      Delete
  7. I think I would have to make this for my Dad and I, my boys wouldn't appreciate the cabbage.🫤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad they don't like cabbage because they're missing out on something good!

      Delete
  8. I have a whole cabbage in the fridge and am going to make that today...perfect Saturday with a soup simmering. Thanks for sharing. Also running down those crochet links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it! It's a favourite in our household so hope you like it too.

      Delete
  9. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soup sounds delicious! I make soup often, but usually just based on what's in the cupboard. One area I still haven't worked out in my non-vehicle-owning experiment is Fresh Produce. I can get some frozen stuff delivered, and sometimes my Occasional Helper offers to pick up a few things for me when they are doing a big grocery shop. But just buying fresh produce because it looks good at the store that day, my previous method, is not happening. But I'll save your recipe! Also, those crocheted people with the cats and knitting are quite captivating, aren't they? All the little details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do curbside pickup for our groceries so any fresh produce we get is at the whim of the person who does the picking. So far so good though and we've had no complaints. I figure it's worth it for me not to have the hassle of doing the shopping, a chore I detest.

      Delete
  11. Love the yarn graphic. Yes, I relate. Though, I don't think I have mohair, and I don't have any roving. So I'm good there. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that graphic and thought it was too good not to share.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.