MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, January 08, 2024

Shovel, shovel, aaaack.....

 Another blogger and I have been having a small discussion about downsizing/cleaning and, because January seems to be the time that many of us decide that we need to 'do something' about our collections of stuff, I thought I'd share a few of the things I've discovered along the line.  Now before you get all amazed, my house is NOT perfect but it's a whole lot more organized than it used to be.  There's still a ways to go and I don't suppose I'll ever be under consideration for a featured spread in 'House Beautiful' magazine.

When our boys were small our house should have been condemned.  It was a constant mess and I would spend hours every day just trying to keep a path cleared to the bathroom.  I'd start at the front door and put things away and progress to the next room and so on until I returned to the front door, only to find the entire thing was a mess again.  It was discouraging.  I even went so far as to put a sign on the front door one day when I conducted a full-on strike and refused to do housework of any kind.  Sure gave the UPS delivery guy pause for thought when he read that!  


Right about that time our next door neighbour (whose house was always spotless and I hated her) kindly gave me a book to read that addressed the issues I was having.  After I got over my initial snit about her thinking I was a messy housekeeper (however true it was),  I read the book and had an epiphany.  The book, entitled 'Sidetracked Home Executives: From Pigpen To Paradise' by Pam Young and Peggy Jones, was just what I needed to get on track.  It boiled down to a card system for housework which at first I thought was the silliest thing I'd ever heard of.  My neighbour informed me that she'd been using the system for quite awhile and that it worked.  OK, why not try it.  The main gist of a card system is this:  you decide on the jobs/chores you want (and need!) to do in your house and how often you need to do them  (ie. sweep the kitchen floor daily) and create a card for each, being sure to mark them with how often the chore should be done.  File them into a recipe card box that has a divider for each day of the month and another set of dividers for each month of the year.  Some chores you will only be doing once or twice a year so choose which months and file accordingly.  Then, each morning, simply get out the cards for that day and do them....not worrying about ANY of the other chores that you might feel guilty about.  You know, with this system, that you WILL get to those chores but just not right this instant.  Suffice to say, after a few months of being on the system, Resident Chef threatened me with divorce if I ever stopped using it.  An additional bonus is that he sees the cards laid out for the day and pitches in to help.  

Fast forward to about a year ago when I happened to stumble across another great author/blogger who has some really great ideas to help with downsizing and control of clutter.  Her name is Dana K. White and she has written at least two books.  I requested 'Decluttering At The Speed of Life' from our library and really like her approach.  The basic takeaway I got is that you should have a 'container' for everything - whether that be a box/a tote/a shelf depends on the item you're trying to organize - and then to downsize to fit that space.  Then nothing else can be added unless something else gets removed so it continues to fit the asigned space.  Of course there was a whole lot more in the book but that was my main takeaway and something I'm trying to implement.  I signed up for her blog posts (she does podcasts as well) and find that she's very down-to-earth with her suggestions (and reading through the comments are always enlightening too).  You can check her web site HERE  (no affiliation on my part beyond liking her approach).  

******************


Today is THE DAY that I have to present my trunk show at the quilt guild.  I think I have all my ducks (projects) in a row but remains to be seen how well it goes.  To say I'm not looking forward to it is a massive understatement.  Why I ever agreed to this in the first place defies logic when I know how much I hate public speaking.  Tomorrow I have to teach the first (of two) workshops and that's not a prospect I'm relishing either.  Oh well, it can't last forever...right??



22 comments:

  1. I think you have to be a basically organized person just to get that card system set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book, as I recall, gave you guidance as to what chores might need to be done and the frequency so I think I started with that and then changed it to suit our circumstances as time went on.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm told it did but I was too nervous to be aware. Just glad it's over! Now have to worry about teaching the workshop tomorrow (but might be a moot point because we're scheduled for a snowstorm so it might be postponed)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I remember the SHE plan. I realized then that I'd spend way too much time writing down the chores instead of doing them. I'm glad it worked for you then and that over the years you've integrated the method so it's automatic. Congratulations on your trunk show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I got the frequency of the chores sorted it's a simple matter now to just file them accordingly and just pull out the allotment for the day.

      Delete
  4. I used to be organized; since retirement--not so much--as a matter of fact, not much at all!!
    I am trying to come to terms with decluttering and think I like some clutter in my sewing room for inspiration...[that's
    my story and I am sticking with it!!]. Taking a bit of a breather from it all for now...
    Good luck on your presentation;)))
    hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our apartment is organized but then....then....step inside the door of my sewing room!! Having said that I can put my hands on pretty much anything I'm looking for without too much effort.

      Delete
  5. I learned that task scheduling trick from having a cleaning service. With my allergies, I can't use cleaning supplies and can't be in the house when they are used so we've had that one luxury our whole marriage. What I learned was that lot of things could wait 2 weeks! So I started looking at all of my chores in that way. I don't use index cards but that's a great idea. I developed a habit of using my calendar and I can't function without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Card system/calendar - either will work! I expect likely those who have smart phones could schedule tasks that way too.

      Delete
  6. I kind of use a to do list in a Daily Planner for each day. Most times I manage to get everything done, but I always have a "do unfinished" line on a few days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We each have to find a system that works for us. I'm lazy and don't want to keep writing things down so the card system works well for me.

      Delete
  7. Good quote.
    Organizing. I've been seriously clearing the area near my front door and long kitchen counter for years. They always end up being a mess. Not this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I clean my sewing room I swear I will NOT let it get back into such a dump. Give me a couple days and that vow completely escapes my mind. Good luck with your kitchen counter!

      Delete
  8. Great post, I am not very organized, however my husband is he keeps me stable in that area of life.
    Thank-you for the information on the books, again some amazing links to enjoy.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm organized for the most part but I can certainly manage to create a massive mess in my sewing room!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your day went well! Now on to the workshops, unless they get snowed out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's workshop was postponed due to the weather so we'll see what happens with the rescheduled date next week.

      Delete
  10. A terrific post! I love reading about decluttering - such an interest subject and so many different approaches. I have had "Great Purges" since I was about 9 years old (that was the term I gave them then and it's stuck!) and I always find them a real refresh. Our house has always been tidy though my studio rarely is and that's where I've been focusing my attention for the past few years... I think even though I don't acquire much anymore except art supplies and books, I am constantly re-visiting every other part of the house to pare things done yet further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our apartment is pretty decent but my sewing room is a whole 'nother story. Oh, and all the books that are stuffed under our bed waiting to be read...we won't discuss those.

      Delete
  11. I have struggled with decluttering for years. Each time I start I swear to bite the bullet and let go. It's becoming more and more imperative with age. I give you a lot of credit for being so good about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went through cleaning out several different houses, including my parents, and it was a chore I wouldn't wish on anybody. I am determined to downsize a lot of the 'stuff' we have and make it as easy as possible for our kids to deal with. I've given them strick instructions that they are to call all my friends and let them loose in my sewing room to take whatever they want so that should help somewhat.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.