MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, February 10, 2020

Progress - and a rant

I've started on another scissor holder/pouch - #2 of what will be 3 I think....



It's been awhile since you've been subjected to a rant here at Chez Magpie but sometimes a gal has just gotta vent.  Scroll down if you're bored already!

Back story - You've watched the projects unfolding that were/are destined to be gifts for the newest addition to our family.  You've seen the Baby Yoda - and you've seen the extra things that were for his big brother.  Well,  the author of this rant hauled the rather large parcel to our local post office two weeks ago and paid an exorbitant amount to have it sent to their doorstep.  Delivery, they said, would take 6 business days.  Key word here - they 'said'.  The doorstep in this case is over 4000 km away from here.  According to the tracking information the parcel has been on a rather interesting journey.  It went from here to Toronto where it is sorted and put on a plane bound for British Columbia where it next surfaced in Richmond.  So far, so good.  The next appearance put it in Regina.  Regina???  That's half way BACK in this direction.  Hmmm.  Oh, and isn't it good to know that the parcel thought it wanted to also see Calgary?  Which is STILL in the middle of country and nowhere near where it needed to be.  Oh look - it's BACK in Richmond - that's at least in British Columbia.  Oh oh - just look - it's back in Calgary.  Fast forward two days (spent compulsively checking the tracking web site) and it's BACK in Richmond, where it's spent the last four days 'in transit'.  In transit, to where I wonder?  Oh the mysteries that make up our illustrious Canada Post!!!    (Oh, and the web site still says it will be delivered last Thursday!!).  
Rant over

Instead of a quote, how about a housekeeping tip instead?  "Always keep several get well cards on the mantel.  That way, if unexpected guests arrive, they'll think you've been sick and unable to clean"

25 comments:

  1. Great housekeeping tip there. I have a home safety tip for women living alone. Put a great big dog water bowl, with name Brutus,outside the front door. Also a pair of very large old work boots. The latter might trigger questions from your friends, but it's a risk you can take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great tips! That, and not putting your own name in the phone directory and making sure that there's a man's voice on your answering machine.

      Delete
    2. Mine was joke! In these days if cellphones is anyone in the phone directory? Or has a voicemail with a voice on it? Mine doesn't identify me. So I guess this is good.

      I did leave my late husband's name on some utility accounts because you get better service if a man's name shows up. Sad but true even nowadays.

      Delete
  2. How annoying! Ours used to be bad here until FedEx and UPS started competing with the USPS. USPS has improved considerably in the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely room for improvement here - I don't know how something that was so clearly marked with the proper mailing address can wind up bouncing around most of Canada. All I can think of is that our local post office messed up the information somehow.

      Delete
  3. Must be related to the USPO. The new piece is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Canada so it's Canada Post here - I guess there's problems in a lot of areas.

      Delete
  4. A good rant let's the soul breath now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I don't go on a rant too often! Some things do manage to get my dander up though.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, Mary Anne, loads of lovely denim ideas. I'm always looking, as I have two box-loads of jeans, just waiting for inspiration. I've always loved your quilt, and would love to make one, but isn't that 'denim diamonds' quilt beautiful!
    Your denim jackets were just superb, but not something I could ever achieve. You are an amazing sewist* - in many ways.
    *I just can't bring myself to write sewer! :-) :-)
    Kind regards, Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah hah - sewer - never thought of the connection before...thanks for the giggle. Glad you enjoyed seeing the denim ideas!

      Delete
  6. My brother is still waiting for the card I sent from Portugal in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows - it might still show up! There's often stories on the news about mail that appears after years of being awol. A few years ago we had to request our medical records from the central holding area after our dr. quit his practice....DH got his in a timely manner but mine took over two years to get here. I couldn't figure out why I was seemingly getting my medical records out of the blue and then remembered that I'd asked for them at least two years previous. Maybe they were in Portugal with your card!

      Delete
  7. Your 2nd scissor case will be delightful dear. Very nice and informative links. Hahaha to the Get Well cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I suspect a lot of us could use that get well card idea.

      Delete
  8. Rant away, friend. I've seen some parcels here tour the U.S. before they make their destination and in the meantime IU'm wondering if they'll ever reach their final destination. That yours contained hand-made gifts makes it more worrisome and frustrating if you fear they could get lost in all those turn arounds. Let us know when they arrive so we call all cheer for you. I love the colors in your newest scissors pouch. So pretty and soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so much worried over the handmade gifts, but there was a nice necklace in there for our daughter-in-love that had been specially engraved and we didn't want it to disappear. The handmade stuff could have been done over, but not the gift for her. Next time I won't be sending any parcels Canada Post and will rely on UPS.

      Delete
  9. Glad you got that off your chest. Lots of times I place an order and track the shipping history. Sometimes it's sent from Indianapolis....4 hours away. Why does it have to go on the other side of Illinois to come back to Indiana. Glad I don't have to figure out their logistics.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the puzzlement of why mail has to go the long way to get anywhere. If we mail something here in our town and it's addressed to someone that also lives here, it STILL has to go to Toronto and then come back. Takes over a week to get through the system. And then they're crying that their costs are too high and they have to increase the postage rates. Common sense does not rule!

      Delete
  10. Time to kick Canada Post to the curb and start using UPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Their service is unacceptable - second time this sort of thing has happened with a parcel we've sent out to the kids so they're toast now.

      Delete
  11. P.S. You know how I feel about our United States Postal Service...or LACK of service and excess GREED. I can appreciate your rant dear and have done my share on FB. Hope your package has finally arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like post offices everywhere are lacking in customer service any more. Every time we send anything out to our kids we worry until it gets there....and pay top dollar for the privilege too.

      Delete
  12. A rant is good for the soul!!! thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose a rant does much to alleviate the situation, but sometimes it's the only way to alleviate frustration!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.