MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Knitting Olympics purse


This is a picture of the purse I did for the Knitting Olympics. It is made from 1/2" strips of recycled denim, tied together and then treated as wool. My challenge was two-fold...to knit with denim fabric and to use circular needles, both firsts. It was a learning experience! My first problem was that I overlooked the circular knitting directions where it said to "be sure not to twist your cast-on stitches" (that's not important because you can just flip them around, right?...NOT!). I discovered the error of my ways after I had knitted several inches and held it up to admire. Ooops. Had to frog-stitch that. The second try went much better, however I discovered that knitting with 'tough' fibre such as denim is not easy on arthritic fingers! Needless to say, I won't be making another any time in the near future.

Hopefully you can see on the picture (click on it to enlarge) that the handles are made from the double-stitched seam part of the jeans, braided. The top of the purse is the waistband. I lined it inside with some flannelette from my stash.

I had originally thought of using it as a knitting bag..but...the thing weighs a ton all on its own, without putting anything inside it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.