MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, December 18, 2023

Christmas get-togethers and wheel-spinning

 Remember that Christmas cactus I bought myself that I showed you a picture of?  And remember how I said it was likely to meet its demise in short order?  Well, it's happily shedding all those buds you saw, without a single one opening.  I knew I should have left the poor thing in the store!


Had lunch with a good friend on Friday and exchanged our Christmas gifts.  She finds the most intriguing sewing 'things' and gave me a set of these...


They're little silicone brushes for cleaning my sewing machine.  Can't wait to try them because I think they'll be great.  She also gave me a 'White Christmas' amaryllis which looks like it will be spectacular.  And, there just *might* have been a bottle of my favourite alcoholic beverage tucked in there too (already tested for quality control!).  Thank you MEK!  



I've been spinning my wheels in my studio, not quite sure what to tackle next.  Of course there's lots of landscape possibilities waiting for attention, but there's also a nagging thought that I really need to go through my sewing space and get rid of a lot of excess 'stuff' that I know I'll never use.  I'm also trying to decide if a wee grandie who will be turning 2 next month is still too young for a rag doll 'made by Grandma'.  I'm toying with the thought of maybe making  matching little girl/dollie dresses.  I suspect I should wait until she turns 3 for that one.  (If you want to see examples of the rag dolls I usually make, have a look HERE.)

- I'm a fan of the old original cartoon version of the Grinch, so of course THIS caught my eye.

- There are lots of quick gift ideas HERE.

- I know some of you might be aware of THIS but in case you haven't seen it before, it's a great method to make quick gifts.

- Making some of THIS would be easy and a welcome gift for either yourself or others.  

 Today the quote is from Peg Bracken..."Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredient of a truly merry Christmas"

26 comments:

  1. How about little girl and dolly coveralls? I like the play clothes idea, and dolls in coveralls are lovely, especially with pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coveralls, particularly made from denim, are a great idea! I plan to make her one of my rag dolls and then add some extra outfits but I think she might be a little young for that quite yet. I think I'll hold off on that plan until next Christmas. In the meantime I found a cute knitted doll that I might attempt to make her for her birthday.

      Delete
    2. Maybe a little family of Izzy dolls...

      Delete
    3. She already has one Izzy doll - but good idea for a family!

      Delete
  2. Just love your little rag dolls--so adorable...we are in the midst of a huge rain/wind event. Just got home from my "yrly" clinic appointment phew--going over the CT River bridge in this was no fun...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got that ordeal over with and got home safely. Going over a big bridge when there's a lot of rain and high winds is not fun.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:07 PM

    Sherry of createology: I adore your rag dolls! I used to make a cloth doll with changeable clothes and a little sleeping bag. I loved them. I really should make my Great Grand one as she is already five! Sew many great gift ideas you have shared. Homemade gifts are filled with lots of love and care for the intended recipient and of course that makes the gifts extra special. Hugs dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rag dolls are usually well loved because I'm sure to tell the parents that they are meant to be played with. Good idea for a sleeping bag - hmmm.....pondering.....

      Delete
  4. My Christmas Crack is hiding in the freezer right now or believe you me it would already be gone.

    Your rag dolls are so nice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I'll bet it tastes good frozen (just sayin')

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas: It is always fun to get a gift that is useful, I have to look up the brush's, I could use them on my machines.
    Thank-you for the interesting links.
    I hope the drink was a yummy one.
    I too am down sizing my craft room, it is not easy to do.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will certainly make good use of those brushes. I've always cleaned my own machines so they will help.
      And yes my little nip of Irish Cream was definitely yummy!

      Delete
  6. Oh, those rag dolls are beautiful! I plan to hang around to see you make one for your granddaughter - even if that's next year. And the silicone brushes are kind of genius, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to make a doll for her but I think I will wait until she's ready for it.

      Delete
  7. Peg Bracken! I have several of her books still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quality control is an essential part of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Grinch plushie is so cute! Can't believe the pattern is free, how lucky (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Grinch! Might be forced to have to make one of these, just because I can.

      Delete
  10. What a great friend. She remembered your new sewing machine. So sorry to hear about the Christmas Cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and I have been friends for nearly 70 years and yes those brushes will be a treat for the new sewing machine. I'm hopeful the cactus will bloom next year - if I can keep it alive that long!

      Delete
  11. How nice to have such a long time friend in your life. Moving here to Ontario meant I left friends like that behind and miss them very much. Too bad about the cactus! Sometimes these store plants ail for reasons having nothing to do with your care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have three really close friends who are all 'long term' so I consider myself extremely lucky.
      Hopefully the cactus will survive to bloom another year.

      Delete
  12. I love the little brushes - what a perfect gift! I think useful gifts are my genuine favorite kind. (Food is of course extremely useful.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like useful gifts too and I'm certainly with you on food! We received a tin of homemade biscottia and a bag of coffee beans in the mail from our #2 son and his family - yum!!! Of course they got a couple tins of 'goodies' from Resident Chef's kitchen too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.