MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, December 04, 2023

and....it begins....again

 Another landscape has begun.  This one, because it's snowy outside, has a winter theme although the original photo I'm using for inspiration was in B&W and not winter.  Here's the photo (once again by Dale Stewart and used with his kind permission)...


I have taken the liberty of moving the truck into the snow as you can see from the beginning here...

Over the weekend the Resident Chef and I decided we should do some Christmas decorating so he hauled out the box of decorations and the box that holds our Artificial Shedder (thinly disguised as a Christmas tree).  I had decided that I wanted to seriously downsize our decorations and was surprised that he was on board.  We got rid of just about half of what we had and I feel hugely relieved.  THEN, he tackled the Artificial Shedder and immediately started muttering about how much of a pain it was, all the while dodging the shower of 'shed'.  Once upon a time it was a pre-lit tree but over the years the lights burned out so he has been adding lights.  All in all, not a fun experience.  So...me being a firm believer in making things easier, suggested that we should just go and buy a new tree that fit our space and was actually working.  He, being a firm believer that happy wife/happy life was quick to agree (I rather suspect there might have been a tad bit of relief on his part as well).  So...we relieved ourselves of some money and came home with a new one - much smaller than the other and, best of all, it won't shed...and the lights actually work!  It's hard to take a picture of a lit tree but here's the best I could come up with...


Our local food bank has published this reverse advent and I thought I would share in case you'd like to participate in your area..


- The ingenuity of some people simply astounds as THIS will attest!

- There might be some ideas HERE that you would like to do for Christmas gifting.

- If you're interested in textiles, perhaps you might find something in THIS listing that would intrigue you.

- I think THIS would be fun to do.

Today the quote is from George Orwell..."The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"


26 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I am a fan and look forward to each and post. I always have my cuppa handy in case I fall down the rabbit hole perusing your links. Thank you for the time you spend to find them and pass them on. I will enjoy watching the progress on your new creation. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela - thanks so much for commenting! I'm really glad you like some of the things I mumble about and that you join me in that rabbit hole once in awhile.

      Delete
  2. I definitely support the food bank idea, and encourage anyone to ask your local food bank what they need. I donate $$, because they know how to use it best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the food bank here is more than happy to accept monetary donations but I think it helps them if you fill a box with the requested items so they don't have to do it. We'll see, because RC and I are heading out shortly to do some shopping.

      Delete
  3. Haha, we're also at the stage of putting auxiliary lights on an old prelit tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides having to put lights on it, the shedding part was terrible. All you had to do was touch it and there was a shower of 'bits'. It's a wonder the poor thing wasn't completely nude! It wasn't even worth donating to charity but we put it in our garbage room so it could be seen so perhaps someone will adopt it.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh you got a beautiful new tree--how lovely!! No more shedding--nice! We just have two tiny tabletop ones
    I really like the idea of your new textile placed in a snowy landscape....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish pictures of lit trees would turn out better but I guess you can get the general idea. The branches on the new tree are solid plastic that absolutely will not shed and it also looks like a real tree. The old one always was a disappointment and gave Charlie Brown's tree a run for the money.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Tree!
    Great links. The nougat is a winner.
    The truck is always a beautiful subject. Their cozy vibe is just too charming to resist.
    Have you thought about printing out greeting cards of your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, happy new tree indeed! We've been putting up with the Artificial Shedder for far too many years to count.
      I haven't thought of greeting cards of my quilts - hmmmmm.....pondering that one.....

      Delete
  6. Keep right on mumbling as yours are the very best. Our tree is shedding more and more each year, and I make Harvey add red lights to it.... I think I might be a bit of a meanie.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tree shed so much that it's a wonder there were any 'needles' left on it. We'd end up still vacuuming them up three months later. The new tree is solid so there's nothing to shed.

      Delete
  7. Your new tree is pretty! I always look forward to your new landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a big tree but it suits our space perfectly so we were happy. I look forward to my new landscapes too!

      Delete
  8. that is such a neat idea about the food advent calendar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea about the advent too. We planned to go out and pick everything up today but ended up putting it off until tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. I feel relieved for you that you have a non-shedder now. :) Looking forward to watching your new landscape develop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved too! Won't be cleaning up after the old one (and won't be listening to RC swear as he tries to assemble it).

      Delete
  10. The food advent calendar is a great idea. Love the new tree, it looks beautiful. Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the advent idea too so thought I'd share in case someone wanted to do it for their food bank.

      Delete
  11. Oooh, a winter landscape -- I look forward to seeing how this develops. Funny how realistic artificial trees are -- they even shed! LOL. The lights that came on ours burned out years ago. It was very tedious to un-string those. I now put lights on each year. (Fortunately the tree is just 4' tall.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newer artificial trees do look a lot better than the nearly 2o-year old version we had. Downsizing the tree to a smaller version suits our space much better and this one won't shed. The lights work so that's an additional bonus!

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas.
    Good idea to add the snow this time of year. I'd think people are more in the mood right now for acquiring such a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what people might want so it comes down to what I'm in the mood (and have the stash) to make. It's winter outside so those colours seemed appropriate.

      Delete
  13. I read this just after we put up our tree and must not have published my comment - which was to say that I know what you mean about the shedding. We had more plastic needles on the floor this year after construction than I'm sure we would have had with a real tree, but I love the style that we have and can't seem to find something similar. The top had to have some surgery and just yesterday we noticed that there is a string of lights that have given up but it is what it is for now. I can see you making some of those tags with your new sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure over the years that old tree must have shed enough to make three new trees. All you had to do was touch it and there was an immediate shower. The new one looks far more realitic AND will never shed...bonus!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.