MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, December 06, 2023

A little bit of progress

 I think you can see some progress on the landscape - namely in the truck itself.  I've also 'done something' with the birch trees although they're by no means finished yet.  Quilting has started in the snow as well.

It looks somewhat 'bumpy' but that's because it's held together by lines of basting at the moment.


I thought I'd add a Terry's Chocolate Orange to our oldest grandie's gift and came across some ideas for making fun covers for them.  This is the result.

Pattern is HERE



- Sharon Boggon is running 'TAST' (Take A Stitch Tuesday) in 2024 and if you want to learn some new-to-you embroidery stitches or brush up on some familiar ones, check out her FAQ's page HERE.  

- THIS is a really cute and easy to make ornament.

- As is THIS.

- I know it might be a tad late for THESE for this year, but perhaps get an early start on next year?

- It seems that every year THESE come up and every year I contemplate making one.

- Never let it be said that I don't lead you down some massive rabbit holes!  All I can say, is be prepared with lots of bread crumbs when you go HERE.

- There are a number of fun gift ideas HERE, some of which I haven't seen before.

- And, to finish off the links for today, how about making some of THIS??  Please invite me over to help you eat it!

Today the quote is from Rumi..."Raise your words, not your voice.   It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"





14 comments:

  1. The only drawback to temp blankets is the huge number of colors and shades you need. If you have a big and varied stash, it helps, particularly if you live where there's a big seasonal swing. Where I live, you have to account for zero f to 100°f!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I would love to do a temperature blanket because I think it would be fun, but then I come to a screeching halt when I realize the sheer numbers of colours of yarn I'd need. I don't have room for that sort of stash unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. Your work on that truck is simply amazing!! You really make pictures come to life beautifully ;))
    Thanks for the links--esp that TAST one...and the Temp blankie is so tempting...but have to finish my crochet blankie first--it's about 2/3rds done...just 2 rows a day--since last January...slow but sure...hugs, Julierose [aka "the snail"]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julierose. I certainly have fun playing with my landscapes.
      Being a snail with blankets is the way to go, at least in my opinion anyway!

      Delete
  3. I see the progress on the truck. It is looking good.
    Great links, the recycled sweaters into stockings is an adorable project.
    Cute quote, one to remember rain grows flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather liking this truck too - complete with bullet holes in the windshield.

      Delete
  4. When I did my temperature blankets I squirreled through my stash and found enough bigger balls of leftovers to make the first one. Still had leftovers so I made one for the year Kurt was born, still had leftovers so made one for the year Kris was born. I used 10 degree swings in the temperatures.

    Love the way the truck stands out in the field of snow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have room here for much in the way of a yarn stash so if I were to do a tempterature blanket I would have to buy quite a lot. I'd really like to though, but then I remember how much it would cost and that puts a stop to my urge. Nice for your boys to have them for their birth years - I like that idea.

      Delete
  5. Great progress on the truck Mary Anne and I love the knitted chocolate orange cover. In my house that would be a very useful addition as I could eat the orange and replace it with a tennis ball and my DH would think I was being terribly abstemious which is not usually the case when chocolate is involved! LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm laughing out loud! Thank you for that. I'd be eating the chocolate too (and believe me, I keep eyeing the now-wrapped up gift for our grandson...do you suppose he'd like a tennis ball??)

      Delete
  6. Love how the quilting adds texture for fluffy snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only about half the snow area was quilted in this photo - the rest was just basted which made it look as though there was more texture. I baste it closely together to help keep it smooth.

      Delete
  7. I'm doing another temperature spiral this year - it was to have larger beads this time, but that didn't work out, but I did change the color paths. Toying with the idea of using embroidery floss for a temperature project but haven't worked out the details yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh - I'm looking forward to seeing your new temperature spiral! I'd really like to try doing a blanket but the cost of the yarn gives me pause.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.