MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Cleaning - and winnowing

 A number of bloggers have been working on getting rid of 'stuff' so I was inspired to start tackling my sewing space.  So far - one big garbage bag filled - one big bag of paper for recycling - and one bag of plastics for recycling - two books gone to the Friends of the Library.  One 4-drawer filing cabinet housecleaned (who knew it was possible to get your fingers in the files without a struggle??) and one side of the closet.  During my excavations I stumbled across my very first sewing project - probably done when I was about 6.  My maternal grandmother made me a quilt for my doll and I decided I should 'sew' the quilting stitches on the back.  Picture is of the front - and the back (showing my childish efforts at stitching).  




- There are some fun ideas HERE for last-minute gift giving.

- THIS is something pretty much any knitter or crocheter would love to find under the tree.

- There are some great ideas HERE for gifts.

- Wouldn't some of THESE (along with a jar of homemade jam) make a great gift?

- Or maybe even some of any of THESE?

- HERE is another quick little gift you could make.

- And, just because of the awwwwww moment, check THIS out!


22 comments:

  1. That stitching is pretty good for a little kid! Even then she knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little "memory" quilt is so cute--what a lovely piece to remind you of your first efforts!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm toying with sending it out to our little grandie when I make her a doll but it might not survive playing with after all these years.

      Delete
  3. I went down a rabbit hole checking out those links...just had to note a couple of things. Thanks for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have company down the rabbit hole!

      Delete
  4. I love your quilt - what a wonderful thing to have kept! I started my first quilt at 7 and though I no have longer have the bit of piecing I had done I can remember it well and think of it every now again - full of very brightly coloured fabrics and big stitches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things that I just couldn't seem to part with, mostly because my grandma made it and very few of the quilts she made are still in the family.

      Delete
  5. Mary Anne, it's wonderful that you still have that little doll quilt from your childhood, and on it your first attempts at quilting - a cooperative project you might say. :) How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know why I'm still keeping that little quilt and at this point I think it will end up being sent out to our little granddaughter - perhaps when I make her a rag doll I will include it.

      Delete
  6. How sweet to have that memory show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had thought I had gotten rid of it so it was a surprise when I found it.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely memento of your very first quilting project.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something my grandma made for me and really the only quilt I have that she did. They pretty much all disappeared over the years and I don't know where they went, sadly.

      Delete
  8. A good cleanout always feels really good! But you can't throw out that little treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I won't throw it out - but it just might get a new home with our granddaughter at some point.

      Delete
  9. Awww, that quilt is adorable! The reindeer is super precious.
    The cranberry scones are a must bake.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the quilt would benefit from a good wash because it's been stored away for years.
      And yes, I'd like some of those cranberry scones too!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Sherry of createology: What a treasure you have in that precious little dolly quilt. Your stitches have definitely improved over the years, yet at six years old you did a fantastic job. So many great links. Those scones look delicious and not dry like most scones. Merry Christmas dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to stumble across that little quilt because I'll be able to use it when I do the presentation for the quilt guild next month - if only to show how much my stitching has evolved!
      Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

      Delete
  11. I also remember stitching patchwork by hand when I was little! What a great start we had! Unfortunately only one of us has followed through 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a U-turn somewhere along the line and didn't follow through with sane patchework quilting. Trust me to wander off the beaten path!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.