MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, December 15, 2023

Assembly line

 I thought, since the landscape was done, I should turn my attention towards the fact that I'm doing a trunk show for the local quilt guild in January, followed by teaching a workshop the next day.  So....I spent most of a day making up 18 kits that contain the pattern for the barn, the fabrics to make same, along with some little bits and bobs, including  a wee little cardinal.  I don't know exactly how many kits will be needed so hopefully this will be enough.  Apparently there were enough people interested in the workshop that they will be running two...one in January and one in the spring.  I also spent considerable time attempting to write a 'presentation/speech' for the trunk show.  I am NOT a public speaker and the thought, quite honestly, scares me to death.  It seemed like a good idea to agree to do it months ago when I was first asked, but now that it's looming closer I'm seriously regretting the entire thing.  I know how difficult it is for guilds to obtain speakers and teachers so I guess I'm going to do my part.  


- I thought THIS was intriguing.  THIS too!

- THESE look pretty easy to make (and, instead of cards I wonder if you could use old calendar pages...but perhaps they wouldn't be stiff enough)

- Anyone who makes Izzy dolls might find THIS of interest.

- If you do the 'Elf on The Shelf' with your family, perhaps some of the  ideas HERE will be fun.  If nothing else, some of them are good for a giggle.

- THESE are great memory ornaments that would be a special keepsake.

- There are some cute gift ideas HERE.  


18 comments:

  1. you will do fine. Just pretend you are talking to one of us. Can't wait to see everyone's finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no so worried about doing the workshop - provided I can keep them on task. There's a lot to get through in one day, so we'll see. It's the trunk show that has me worried because talking in front of approx. 60 people and trying to keep them interested is a problem.

      Delete
  2. Second comment, finding one of those wool blankets, will be the same as trying to find hen's teeth....LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, but I have seen the odd one at a thrift store.

      Delete
  3. Oh I am with you 100% talking in front of a crowd is not my thing either; I have a good friend who is super at it
    she told me: "Just pretend there is a glass partition in front of you when on stage; it helps to feel that you are not
    really 'out there' ". She was a singer and performed all her life. I accompanied her on piano with shaking knees ;(((
    I am sure you will do just fine. Also having a few note cards with you for "cues" helps a lot...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll be reading my speech! There's no way I could ever do it from note cards....to much like being in public school and having to do a speech that had to be three minutes long. I would write one that was at least ten minutes, knowing that once I got up there I would get through it in well under the three minutes. Trouble is, with this particular presentation, I'm following a lady who, last month, talked for nearly an hour with NO notes!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so familiar with agreeing to teach a workshop, then near the time wonder what possessed me! You're always great when it comes to it, though. And all your quilter friends want you to do well. So there's that. And you have the work to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can pretty much say all there is to say about one landscape and then I guess I could just simply say 'ditto' for all the rest?

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:05 PM

    Sherry of createology: My Dear Sweet MA you will do excellent at your guild trunk show. The ladies will love all that you share. And then they will also love learning your techniques and tips for creating such amazing landscapes. You are definitely giving back and so generously with your kits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish it was all over with and I can stop worrying about it! Seemed like a fine idea when I first agreed to it but now that it's approaching I'm certainly living with lots of regrets. Oh well - it can't last forever (can it?)

      Delete
  6. I just know you will be able to carry this off and be brilliant.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have confidence in me. Just hope it's not misplaced!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful of you to share your talents with others, especially eager learners. Don't worry about giving a speech. Just read your written words, because you are a superior writer.
    You were reading my mind of late. Last Christmas 3 people gave me poncho type blanket covers that I especially used in church since I'm always so cold even in the summer AC. Lately I'd been thinking of taking some blankets I had bought years ago on preChristmas sale and making a jacket/coat. I had made one years ago for a child out of one blanket, including a lapel flower. (See on my blog, under sewing tutorials at top). I don't plan on getting as detailed as barbmaker, Wow! I will most likely use one of my, what they call today, "vintage" patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for sure I will be reading my speech! There's no way I would ever attempt to memorize it.
      Re 'vintage patterns' - better hang onto them! I don't know if you've priced new sewing patterns these days but I was floored when I saw how much they want for them.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful idea to have a trunk show, your quilts are amazing.
    I am sure you will do good at speaking.
    Love the links you find so many great links to share with us.
    Love that cartoon, so funny.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to do a successful trunk show in front of 50 (or so) ladies when my items aren't large like full-sized quilts. The difficulty will be for those who are seated in the back to see.
      Glad you enjoy the links!

      Delete
  9. My one recommendation is to look for the person in the crowd that is smiling, it'll make if feel more like a conversation than a speech. You'll find your comfort zone and they'll love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had people tell me to imagine the audience buck naked but never thought of picking on a person that's smiling.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.