MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, July 02, 2021

Randomness reigns supreme here

 There's a few more little cross stitcheries completed and you'll be hugely relieved I'm sure to know that there's only about 5 or 6 left to do.  Then it's on to discovering if my 'idea' for putting them together is going to work.  The fabric for the backing arrived yesterday so I have all the 'pieces' and just have to play about with finishing the little stitcheries into mini (very mini!!) little ornaments.  I know what I want to do but it will be a challenge to get the sizing right.  


And just to prove that life here at Chez Magpie never lacks for some form of excitement, have a gander at Resident Chef's toes (I know....who knew you'd be treated to a birds eye view of such things!)....


Funny how they tend to lose a battle waged with a bowl of homemade oatmeal.  Nothing is broken fortunately but they certainly are colourful!!


And....just because I thought you'd want to know, here's the recipe for the offending oatmeal...

RESIDENT CHEF's OATMEAL RECIPE

1 1/2 c. steel cut rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. milk
5 tsp vanilla
2 Tablespoons maple syrup 
1/2 c. raisins or dried cranberries (or mixture)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds

     Mix together and cook.  He uses a rice cooker and times it at about 15-20mins.  You can also cook it on top of the stove for probably the same amount of time.  Store in refrigerator until needed and then serve either hot OR cold.  


Today's quote..."An injury is not just a process of recovery - it's a process of discovery"  (and in Resident Chef's case?  He 'discovered' it's better to hold onto a slippery bowl with TWO hands).

18 comments:

  1. Ow. Ow. Ow. OW! Hope the chef's toes heals up quickly. Can't wait to see how you finish all those fun little cross stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says it doesn't hurt much unless he walks - or tries to put shoes on. At least he didn't break anything - either him, OR the bowl!
      I can't wait to see how I finish them too - ideas in mind, but will they bear fruitition? Only time will tell.

      Delete
  2. Ewwwwwwwwww! my sympathies to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the bowl came out unscathed - can't say the same for his toes OR the oatmeal.

      Delete
  3. Ow! Is all I can say. Feet are so sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He claims it doesn't hurt much, but then again, he's usually quite stoic when it comes to pain.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear for the toes
    I dropped a board, landed right across two toes. It will be a few months until the nail grows back. There's a scar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that (in the odd sense, not the hah hah sense)....he's working on growing the nail on his big toe back after dropping a frozen roast of meat on it. It's taking months for sure.

      Delete
    2. I feel for Jack- I stubbed/blackened my bare,little toe against the skirting board a few weeks ago. Two mishaps..not good. Maybe steel capped shoes are needed in the kitchen.

      Enchanting Xmas cross stitches.

      Delete
    3. I will suggest the steel toed shoes - thank you! I think I know what he's going to say.....probably not fit to publish.

      Delete
  5. Ouch!
    A couple of interesting links!
    You will do a great job on the tiny ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ouch (although he's manfully saying it doesn't hurt much). As for the ornaments a dig into my stash is next on the agenda to see what I might have on hand to finish them off.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You can't tell in the picture but he's still recovering from losing his toenail after something fell out of the freezer onto it. Accident prone?

      Delete
  7. Oh Dear poor Resident Chef. Those toes look very painful and in need of a warm soak in an oatmeal bath...or is that adding insult to injury?!! This recipe is rightup my alley and thank you for sharing it. Oh My Heavens...I am obsessed with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the sound of the recipe - just don't drop the bowl on your toes!!!!

      Delete
  8. Ouch! His oatmeal is a lot fancier than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This oatmeal came about because I truly dislike plain oatmeal and refuse to eat it. Since oatmeal is 'good for you', he came up with this recipe and now I love it either hot or cold.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.