MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, July 09, 2021

Off with his head!!!

 We're bloodthirsty individuals here at Chez Magpie.  Yesterday Resident Chef and I beheaded a teddy bear with a hacksaw.  Next thing you know we'll be buying an axe and chainsaw....just sayin'.  

Seriously?  I mounted the head on one of the bears so it appeared as though he had it on backwards.  Looked awful so it became an 'off with his head' moment.  That's what you get when you're trying to create your own pattern.  Trial and error - mostly error.  And those safety joints are pretty much indestructible, hence the hacksaw. 


And....yesterday Resident Chef and I were able to get our second 'jab' of Pfizer vaccine which came with a great sense of relief, even though we won't be changing our lifestyle in any appreciable way.  Masks will still be worn when out in public, and I suspect they will be for a very long time to come.  

Sorry, no pictures from here today - not unless you want to see a rearranged pile of minky fur and various bear body parts which is pretty much the same as I showed you last time.  

Today's quote is from Mahatma Gandhi..."It's easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone"

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links. That Gawthorpe gallery is endless!
    Amazing the things you find yourself doing when you innocently started trying to make a simple bear. I hope he doesn't hold it against you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of you when I shared that gallery link - thought you might enjoy it. Simple bear - I wish!!!! These were a challenge from beginning to end. That's what I get for trying to make my own pattern.

      Delete
  2. Sounds gruesome, but sewing can feel like that when patterns don't align with genius creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's pretty much always at least some bloodshed over everything I do (mostly mine!).

      Delete
  3. So glad you finally were able to get your second shots. (I was going to rant about anti-vaxxers, but decided to spare you). I hope you’re enjoying more pleasant (read: cooler) weather than us! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were hugely relieved to have the second shot (and I know we're on the same page when it comes to anti-vaxxers). And yes, much cooler here and actually it's too cool to suit me.

      Delete
  4. Oh Dear thank goodness there was no blood spilled. Now you know how to make an Owl with his head turned backward. LOL I feel certain you will be successful in your bear creations for the Littles. And...thank goodness Resident Chef did not drop the hacksaw on his toes. Minky fabric is so plush and soft...YET it does make the most horrific mess. Happy Bear Creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more worried about Resident Chef's fingers as he wielded the hacksaw. Luckily we managed without mishap (unless, of course, you count the poor bear!).

      Delete
  5. Enjoying the comments as much as the post. I can't wait to see these bears when they're finished. Or even partially finished. :) Are safety joints for joining the arms and legs? I've never made a jointed stuffed animal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the safety joints are for joining arms and legs. I'll try to put a picture in my post on Monday so you can see what they look like. Those things are definitely safe because there's no way they'll come apart by normal means. The safety eyes I use are the same concept.

      Delete
  6. I shuddered reading about a maybe accident with toes and hacksaw. :-(((( So good to know you and Jack are inoculated fully.
    It's a long time since I made a jointed bear - the leg needed much pressure/grip to attach the second part of the safety joint.
    Saved the origami link for Christmas and have also enjoyed the comments. Thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no bloodshed, believe it or not! As for the pressure to attach the joint pieces, I agree....however (being of the Too Late Smart Club) I just discovered that putting the hole in the spool of thread over the shank and pressing it down works like a charm. Why I didn't think of that before is beyond me.

      Delete
  7. Glad you finally got your 2nd shot of the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I would have been willing to wait until September but getting it earlier is definitely a relief.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.