MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Fluffies and fuzzies galore!

 Yesterday I undertook to change gears and started working on the teddy bears again.  Cutting out fake fur on a hot sticky day isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.  The fans in my sewing room didn't help matters either!  For those of you who don't remember, our #2 daughter-in-love sent me two onesies that belonged to our grandsons with a special request to see if I could make bears using them somehow.  I hated to cut into the onesies so I'm trying to create bears that will wear them.  So far, so good, in my design plan.  However.....the first prototypes were a dismal failure.  Not only were they too short to fit inside the onesies but I also managed to set the safety joints facing the wrong direction (duh!).  They call those things 'safety joints' for a reason - there's no way they could be removed.  So....back to the drawing board. Reordered the joints AND new fabric (I'm using Minky) and the entire project went into the time-out corner until now.  Now I'm turning this pile of 'body parts' into bears - I hope.  



Don't worry, I'll get back at the advent calendars as soon as the bears are done!  You haven't seen the last of them yet.

Today's quote is from Sara Lanan..."Is that a warm fuzzy...or just a piece of scrap felt?"   (or in my case, bits of teddy bear!!!)

6 comments:

  1. I think i just might make some dog toys for my grand dogs and neighbor dog? Always up for recycling and using scraps. I enjoyed looking through the Heather handmade site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know our dog would have been over the moon with one of those toys. He dearly loved a plastic bottle to chew on and chase around. He must have liked the sounds it made.

      Delete
  2. I have vivid memories of our dalmatian biting happily on a large plastic bottle. Unbelievable racket for hours until she'd reduced it to a compressed nub. Her jaws never got tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the racket! But the pure joy Odin had with a bottle was priceless. He loved stuffed toys too and we would buy him the odd one from the thrift store and he wasn't satisfied until he'd gotten all the stuffing out. He had one favourite old teddy bear, reduced to the 'skin', that he carried around and would demand that you throw it innumerable times.

      Delete
  3. A new minky bear or two sounds like a great change of pace! When Millie finds a plastic bottle she buries it in my flower beds - guess she thinks it’s pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure which is harder to work with - fur or minky. They both shed horribly. One lesson I have learned though - don't try to make bears in the summer sticky heat!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.