MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, December 16, 2016

Searching



In my search to find something (anything!) that might be post-worthy today, I suddenly remembered that I don't think I shared this particular piece with you.
 



This is a family tree picture that I created for the 'Crazy Quilt Gatherings' Autumn 2016 issue and was conceived during one of Kathy Shaw's online crazy quilt classes.  I don't normally work from a pattern per se, but tend to just wing it (which can get me into some 'interesting' situations).  Anyway, the class module required that I design a block, including all the stitches I planned to do.  The design languished in my files until Pam Kellogg issued a challenge to come up with something genealogy-related for the magazine.  This is what I created.  




For those who I know will ask...
my paternal grandparents on the lower left,
maternal grandparents on lower right,
moi in the middle and my parents on either side,
my husband and sons on the top.



Today your quote is from Harlan Miller....."Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don't quite know how to put our love into words"



11 comments:

  1. Oh, that's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this piece Mary Anne and it is a great heirloom piece! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique and wonderful heirloom you created with family photos and CQ.
    Thanks for the links they all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing gift idea for a special anniversary. Thanks. Also I love that cross stitch cardinal...beautiful.

    Now I know what to do with all the mini dollies I have. I bought them many years ago when White Rose went out of business. Do you remember White Rose? I spent many an hour browsing their craft department:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Family Tree CQ is very unique and beautiful. I believe you really exceeded the CQ challenge. You always share the best links of fun projects. Thank you. Merry Christmas Dear...XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely heirloom you have created.
    Lots of great links. I will be checking them out more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is gorgeous - what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Mary Ann, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I usually have some sort of a plan but it morphs into winging it! Your planning made perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your family tree is awesome, it's beautiful.
    Now rats, where did I put my small doily collection? I knew it would come in handy one day!
    Hope you're smiling as I'd better run quickly before you throw a big tree at me and it might have books in it!!! :)
    Happy Christmas
    Wren xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful embellished family tree, Mary Anne. You never cease to amaze me what you whip up. Winging it is so much better. It makes you explore many paths you would have otherwise missed. Besides...think of all the fun you miss. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.