MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, April 28, 2023

An honour, or perhaps it's a case of desperation?!

 Our local quilt guild, well over 100 members strong, is having a long-awaited covid-delayed quilt show the end of next month.  That, in itself, isn't remarkable because they have one every couple of years...but....it seems I have been conscripted to be the 'Featured Quilter' at the show.  I'm pretty sure they were desperate to have asked me, but I'm honoured anyway.  Having said that, I have no clue what it entails.  I was approached by a member who was 'feeling me out' to see if I would agree and I said I would be willing but I wanted more information.  Well, it seems that it's a done deal because it's been announced in their newsletter.  I'm still no wiser what I have to do but have to assume someone will tell me sometime between now and then.

That, on top of being asked to do a trunk show and teach a workshop in January, is a little bit stressful.  As I said, I think they must be desperate!!  Maybe the fact that I haven't attended any of the meetings this year has led to absence making the heart grow fonder?

I'm currently working on prototypes for the workshop and have decided I can use a simplified version of the barn image from my previous landscape I showed you as the 'base' for the class.  To that end I've started creating four examples - one for each 'season'.  You can see the beginnings in this photo...



These are not nearly as large as my 
normal landscapes (which I know is
hard to tell from the photo)

- THIS link takes you to a PDF pattern for a handy crochet hook caddy.  I've done these in a smaller size for holding sewing needles.  

- If we were allowed to hang a wreath on our door I think I'd like THIS one.  Dollar store supplies would make it really affordable to create.

- It could be because I've been having a tearin' good time with fabrics (see above) over the past while, but THIS caught my eye.

- THIS article caught my eye and I'll have to remember it in case I ever get any flowers!

- There are lots of free designs HERE (better pour yourself a cuppa!)

The quote for today..."We are like books, most people only see our cover, the minority read only the introduction, many people believe the critics.  Few will know our content"



31 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Sherry of createology: Congratulations MA. You should feel very honored. I like your prototypes for the class. Your links are always fun to see. I really like the tree wreath. Great quote today. Allergies are in full bloom here. Sunshine feels good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some wall space because I'd love that wreath too. Hopefully the prototypes will spark interest in the workshop - at least it will give people some ideas of what can be done using just one piece of inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being the Queen of quilters! I'm not surprised they selected you. Your work should ensure a good guild member turnout, being very creative and successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show often attracks hundreds of visitors but who knows what will happen with covid still lurking about.

      Delete
  3. I agree it is an honor for sure; I really like your sample pieces--they should be a big hit. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered how making a landscape smaller-size would work so this is a test run for me as well.

      Delete
  4. Way to go M.A...I knew it would happen sooner or later.....Big CONGRATS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Sue! I still say they must be desperate.

      Delete
  5. Why wouldn't they ask you, you're unique and your pieces are fabulous! Darn, I wish I lived near you, I'd go. At least it's not until January, plenty of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt show is actually the end of May, but they want me to do a trunk show/workshop in January as well. (Wish you lived near me too!)

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy that you are getting recognition for your beautiful landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still recovering from the shock of even being asked. There are so many amazing quilters in our guild that I'm sure are more deserving than I am. However, I'll take it!

      Delete
  7. They are for sure not desperate.
    They chose a very talented person.
    You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, good thing I'm not wearing a shirt with buttons or they'd be popping off!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations what an honor for you and showing your quilts, I hope you have a wonderful time and share photos with us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can get photos and I certainly will share if I do. After all, I need something to mumble about...lol.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:03 PM

    I've been absent for awhile and now getting around to playing catch up. I think your guild will be lucky to have you as their featured quilter. Congratulations for both the class and quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thank you! I just hope they don't regret their decision.

      Delete
  10. Hi Maryanne I think you would be a wonderful speaker though it wouldve been nice if they had told you what they wanted ,I think you would be very interesting to listen too,good luck and hope you enjoy it my friend 🤍🌹🤍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public speaking is something I dread with all my soul. I hate it and afterwards have NO clue what I might have said. It's definitely not fun. I think I've worked out a way for the trunk show to minimize my having to speak to a crowd - if the guild agrees to it. I hope that I won't have to put in an appearance at the show and can stay home and steer clear of the crowds, but will have to wait and see what the expectations are.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Mary Anne! I am sure you will make a great speaker and give a wonderful class. You have a great sense of humour as well as a multitude of exceptional sewing skills so you are the perfect candidate! (NB. no contradiction allowed!!) I like the look of the class project and wish I could be there! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that once I get into it the nerves will go away and I'll be fine, but that's not to say I don't dread it. Wish you could come to the class too!

      Delete
  12. Of course they asked you, and I'll bet they're very excited that you didn't say no! About dread of public speaking, what I used to do when I was giving a presentation at a scientific conference was to write concise paragraphs linked to a slide show (in the olden days, with actual slides), and then practice it at home, with a timer, record it, and listen. (After the first few times I could ignore the sound of my own voice and just listen to the words.) I did it at first because the time limits are real at these conferences, and I didn't want to feel stressed about running over. Or get the hook at the 20.1-minute mark! Anyway, this method ended up helping me in other ways, because the things I really wanted to say got refined in the process, and by the time I gave the talk, it sounded and felt quite natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips Quinn, thank you. The last time I did a trunk show it was for a very small group and I did write out the entire 'speech' beforehand. Not sure that will work for this group because it's much larger and more difficult to stay on point. I have until January to think about it.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like the quilt group made a good choice. You'll do it your way and be fabulous. I love the samples - great idea for the seasons. And that wreath is a saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The samples idea I had was because I know not every colourway works for everyone so at least they can hopefully end up with something they like. Such is the plan, anyway.

      Delete
  14. I say a well-deserved honour. Your work is beautiful and inspiring and I think it will be of great interest to the attendees. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work is different from what most other local quilters do so I suspect that might be why they asked me.

      Delete
  15. I'm not surprised you're going to be the Featured Quilter at the quilt show. I'd love to attend - just to see some of your work in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I for one know why they chose to feature your work. You're great and what you do. After all, you've been published several times. I've downloaded that magazine and saved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was published in the crazy quilt magazine because I was on staff but that's not to say it wasn't still a thrill every time a new issue came out and I saw my name in print. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.