MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, July 08, 2022

oops - a squirrel......

 #2 grandson is taking music lessons and a special request was made for a tote bag to carry his supplies.  How could a grandma refuse?  So....this was the result and it's already in the mail...


I haven't shared a recipe for awhile and thought some of you might find this to be a good use for excess rhubarb.  It's SOOO good!!


Ruthie's Rhubarb Punch

8 lbs. diced rhubarb
8 quarts water
2 x 12 oz. cans frozen Orange Juice
1 x 46 oz. can pineapple juice
2 x 3 oz boxes strawberry jello
     Cook rhubarb and water together until comes to a boil.  Boil 20 minutes or until rhubarb is practically mush.  Strain the 'mush' out of the juice and return to stove (you'll need more than one pot!).  Keep hot and add remaining ingredients.  Bottle (makes approx. 15-ish quart jars) being sure to leave headroom in the bottles for expansion as it freezes (very important!).  Freeze.



- THIS is the first time I've come across these - but what a fun idea!
- THIS is a pretty pattern that would make either a beautiful afghan or even coasters.
- I can think of a whole bunch of uses for one (or more!) of THESE!
- I think maybe I should post a warning about the rabbit hole you are bound to fall into when you start exploring THIS site.  At the very least you'd best be leaving a trail of crumbs to find your way back out (just sayin').  
- I don't know if you're as fascinated by miniatures as I am, but if you are, check THIS out.

Today, instead of a quote, how about this...



22 comments:

  1. When I worked in miniature needlework, I knitted using one fine strand and two straight pins for needles. My stitching was on fine count canvas with a special tiny needle. Don't think I could handle it now.
    What instrument is the grandchild learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could ever have knitted that small although I do remember making glass ball Christmas ornaments and using toothpicks to knit a small sample that was stuffed inside the ornie along with a small ball of yarn.
      As for instrument - I think, piano, for now. He goes to an arts school where they expose the kids to all sorts of creativity both in art and music.

      Delete
  2. Cute rabbit cartoon. Tote Gorgeous!
    Aframe organizers are a great project, many uses there, and a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning to post a reference to Alice in Wonderland for the quote but I rather liked the bunny illustration.
      As for the organizers, I might have to take them under advisement for the Christmas box.

      Delete
  3. Neat music tote bag--Loving the G clef and eighth notes...really nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my basic tote bag that I make for all occasions so pretty simple. Got the music note 'pattern' from a coloring page on the internet.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Cute quick bag. Did you draw up the appliques yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my drawing abilities are woefully lacking so this was just a coloring page I found on the internet.

      Delete
  5. That is a cool bag - he's sure to love it. I have an ongoing argument with my husband who insists on calling it a rathole instead of a rabbithole. He thinks he's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously your husband hasn't read Alice in Wonderland!

      Delete
  6. You are going to be remembered at the Grandma who could do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the go-to Grandma when it comes to making things for sure.

      Delete
  7. The perfect bag for someone who is taking music lessons. Love it.

    Now if I could convince Harvey to plant even more rhubarb this would be something I would love.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully our 5 year old will be happy with the bag too. We had to buy most of the rhubarb but it was so worth it!

      Delete
  8. Well that is a very good squirrel!!!! I'm sure he'll love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he will! At least it might keep him a bit more organized.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous tote bag! I am sure it will be much appreciated. Have a good weekend! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to make and didn't cost me a thing (other than the postage of course).

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Sherry of createology: Perfect bag for the music studying grandson. I never aquired the taste for rhubarb but your recipe does sound interesting. I love miniatures. Oh how that Rabbit Hole does get me often…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the rabbit hole - it grabs me altogether too often it seems. Between rabbit holes and squirrels I'm kept busy!

      Delete
  11. Oh, my goodness, MA! Those jars look like they're filled with the nectar of the gods! I think I may have to try that. Thanks sharing your idea AND your recipe! Big hugs, Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUCH a refreshing summer drink. I know we'll be making some every year, provided we can find the rhubarb at a decent price.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.