Let me preface this by saying ....
I didn't take chemistry in school because I was in the commercial (secretarial) stream.
For those of you who would like to create a similarly outstanding piece of fabric to use in your art, I will do a mini-tutorial here.
1. First you take a perfectly good piece of dupioni silk - mine was about 6" x 36".
2. Fill your kettle with 2 cups of water and plug it in.
3. While you are waiting for it to boil, place ten tea bags into a glass container.
4. Unplug boiling kettle, and pour water over tea bags.
5. Add perfectly good piece of dupioni silk.
Are you following me so far? Any questions???
6. Let stand two hours.
7. Remove perfectly good piece of dupioni silk from tea bath and wring out.
8. Take downstairs to laundry tub and pour bleach over it.
9. Stir to be sure it's mixed well.
10. Check email.
Still no questions? Are you sure???
11. 20 minutes later remember perfectly good piece of dupioni silk in bleach bath.
12. Run to laundry room and rescue NOT so perfectly good piece of dupioni silk from bleach.
13. Rinse strenuously while watching perfectly NOT so good piece of dupioni silk turn into shreds.
Please add a link in the comment section of this post to guide us to see what you do with this tutorial.