A blog about my interests, which include crazy quilting and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, January 27, 2017

A start on block 2


Here is the first seam I completed on block 2 of my courtship project...




And here is the chart for how I did it...

Cross stitches & straight stitches (black, green & blue) and a modified chevron stitch (pink).




- THIS is not a free pattern but I simply had to show you because I can't imagine trying to knit anything this small and complicated, just for a pair of socks!!

- THIS looks like a very nice hat - and I like the yarn weight it calls for.  Nice and warm!

- There's an interesting tutorial HERE for creating a knitted picot cast on and HERE's how to do the same thing when casting off.

- For the crocheters, HERE's a nice granny square heart pattern.

- There's a nice bag pattern HERE - lots of uses for this one.

- I found an interesting article in a magazine about making something called 'twiddle muffs' for patients with Alzheimer's and dementia.  I love this and think it would be an amazing way to use up part balls of yarn and any bits and bobs you have in your stash. I'm sure your local nursing homes would be glad to receive donations.  Go HERE to read more.

Today your quote is from anonymous, and I hope you find it amusing...."Winter (noun)...the three month break between a woman and her razor"






10 comments:

Boud said...

Those foxy socks are for ceremonial use! Or framing. They're vvvvv labor intensive. Beautiful though.

And thank you for being a little haven from the anxiety over our political doings. Sign me: reluctant activist!

Kim said...

Another nice stitch, Mary Anne. That itty bitty fox knitting pattern is amazing isn't it. I too cannot imagine knitting anything that small.

Janie said...

Thanks for the tips.
That's a very beautiful seam treatment, I'm looking forward to more.
Thanks for sharing.

Createology said...

This seam looks complicated until I see how you have broken it down. I have been seeing several versions of these "Twiddle Muffs". Very interesting concept. I can relate to this definition of Winter. LOL

karen said...

love the stitches which look like tiny droplets falling from the bottom here Mary Anne. Sorry i haven't visited for a while, please feel free to put me on the naughty step!!

crazyQstitcher said...

You are coming up with some lovely designs, Mary Anne. I like the thread colours
.
Interesting article on the twiddle-muffs. I can see how they would be popular with Alzheimer's patients.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Great seam! Like the way you charted it.

Judy Cooper Textile Images said...

Your stitching is lovely, as always. I was intrigued by the Knit for Dementia link that you posted. Must pass this on to my sister.
thanks

Becki said...

What a lot of wonderful links and helps you shared! And your embroidery is beautiful.

Threads of Inspiration said...

The foxy socks are adorable! I like the travel bag too. Thanks for sharing the links. It looks like I need to do a little exploring around your blog to see more of the project you are working on!