MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, March 07, 2022

A new beginning

 Last week I mentioned that I have seen a lot of bloggers working to support artists and designers in the Ukraine and because of that I purchased several cross stitch designs from THIS artist.  I've already begun stitching the first one....Mrs. Santa's Bakery.  Not much progress as yet but you can see the basic design...



You might have noticed that I have changed the colours of the bakery truck to shades of pink because this ornament will be for our new baby granddaughter.

And....my latest evening project is another 1898 hat and matching mittens, both destined for the Christmas box...



- HERE is another great project that some of you might like to create to show your support for the Ukraine.  Perhaps your quilt guild might be interested in making this and then raffling it off with the proceeds going to relief supports for them.  Be sure to read the 'blurb' in the sidebar that explains the project further.

- There are a number of free cross stitch designs HERE including a sunflower.

- Fair warning - if you go and check out all the free patterns to be found HERE, I'm not responsible for the rabbit hole you find yourself falling into.  Just sayin'.....

- If you love homemade bread as much as I do maybe you'll find THIS recipe of interest.  

Today's quote (found via Paper Vernissage blog) is from Elder M. Russel Ballard...."Great things are brought about and burdens are lightened through the efforts of many hands anxiously engaged in a good cause"




16 comments:

  1. That bread is almost exactly the Healthy Bread recipe I use all the time, except they include vital wheat gluten. No kneading, lovely results. Ive never understood why people think bread is hard to make. It's easier than meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands wouldn't let me knead bread so a no-knead is something I could do (although I do have to admit that Resident Chef does the break making and uses sourdough and a little bit of kneading)

      Delete
  2. Easy bread recipe is a go on trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tried that recipe but it does sound pretty easy.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea on changing the colour of the bakery truck. It will make a gorgeous ornament.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought using pink would make it a little more feminine than what the other ornaments will be.

      Delete
  4. From your posts…what a beautiful hat and dress you sewed, I’m so impressed. Love your knitting too and I’m sure the sleep pants were cute. Nice to see you cross stitching and I hope you are enjoying it like I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I always manage to keep myself busy with different projects so I have no time to get bored.

      Delete
  5. Pretty stitching Mary Anne and I like the colours you are using. Nice to feel you are helping with the Ukraine effort too. Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours come from my stash - most of my embroidery floss (well, truthfully, all!) isn't numbered so I just guess at the colours and try to use what I have. I will have to order some of the background colour though because I know I don't have enough to do three more of these ornaments.
      It's a small thing I suppose to purchase patterns from Ukrainian designers but at least I'm helping one person and her family.

      Delete
  6. I must be forgetting to push the publish button lately. You've got a good start on your Christmas box. That's really planning ahead. I wish I could commit to participating with that quilt project. It is beautiful and such a heartfelt cause. And I did get lost in some of those links. Thanks for the shout out with the quote - glad you used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I work pretty much all year on things to add to the Christmas box. That way I'm not so overwhelmed when the date actually arrives.

      Delete
  7. That's wonderful that you are doing something to help those poor folks in Ukraine. I didn't think that such an invasion was possible in modern times but clearly it is. The war has provided opportunities for many acts of kindness such as yours Mary Anne. I know that these acts of kindness from around the world are making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. I know it's only a small thing but if all of us did a small thing it would add up to something huge.

      Delete
  8. I love the pink hat and mittens. Granddaughter will look adorable in her grandmother-knitted cozies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I puzzled over the pink part - and then realized that the photo of the hat and mittens must have looked pink on your screen....actually they're not pink but more of a shade of taupe. Adult-sized too, not for kids (at least not this set!)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.